The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   What octane level gas should I use? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/5926-what-octane-level-gas-should-i-use.html)

Lakeside 07-24-2011 07:02 PM

What octane level gas should I use?

I own a 2001 Jubilee 215. It has a 5.7L 250hp Bravo III. I've been using regular unleaded 87 octane and that's all I'm putting in the tank... What do you recommend I use, and should I add anything to my gas each time I fuel it up?

rajjneef 07-24-2011 08:00 PM

Re: What octane level gas should I use?

87 octane is fine. As far as additives... How often do you go through a tank? If it sits for a while add stabil to it. If you burn it consistently during the summer I think its a waste to keep adding it. Add it for storage. I try to run a tank with Sea-Foam once a season.

rayzorback 01-09-2012 06:46 PM

Is 87 octane ok to run in my 454 V8? My 4.3 V6 needed 91 octane to keep it from deiseling.

Minnox 01-09-2012 09:18 PM

I always add Star Tron at EVERY fill up. This eathonal is bad stuff and the repair bills are more $$$ than the Star-Tron.

ShabahZ280 01-09-2012 10:27 PM

Most marinas stock 89 Octane. If you can, find a marina that stocks ValvTect Marine Fuels. They're specially formulated for Marine Engines, contain detergents, octane boosters, stabilizers, water eliminators, and all sorts of other extremely beneficial components.

I've run on everything from 87 all the way up to 93, and ValvTect fuels too. Obviously there's a premium for Marine grade fuels, but I'm also very guilty of trailering the boat to the local grocery store's discount gas station and using their cheap stuff. However, last year I found a really decent fuel treatment that I've started using a few times a year. It's called Gas-Shok, and it's made by USA Fuel Service. It's amazing, and it's given me great results. The engine's run smoother ever since!

USA Fuel

anguspoe 01-16-2012 12:15 AM

I run 87 in my 4.3 but i add Marine Formula STA-BIL to every tank. Its cheap and ethanol is no good! Mo requires 10% for anything under 91. Check to see what your state does for ethanol, seems like everyone is different.

First tank out for the season I do fill up with 91 and a bottle of Sea Foam

Marine STA_BIL

rainman55343 04-18-2013 05:15 AM

I run 91 octane premium In all of my boats. If there carb I run 91 premium non oxy gas. Same in all my motorcycles. Use seafoam in gas too a lot better than stabill.

Motoxxx43 04-19-2013 02:25 PM

If you are looking to get around this whole ethanol thing I have a link that may help you locate a fuel station to get ethanol free fuel.
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Unfortunately for me the only fuel station in/around where I live stopped serving ethanol free fuel. But I did find out that 1 of the 2 marinas at my lake offer ethanol free which is the way to go. Ethanol is an alcohol- it likes water and our engines do not!