The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Just keeps cranking and cranking. No start. (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/5895-just-keeps-cranking-cranking-no-start.html)

MinnetonkaMariah 07-19-2011 11:09 PM

Just keeps cranking and cranking. No start.

Mercruiser 5.0 on my 2002 Davanti z225.
Out of the blue just wont start. Strong batteries engine cranks and cranks just wont start. Tried it every 30 minutes over 5 hours. No luck.
Can smell fuel so I think she's getting it.
Its been hotter than hell for over a week here, record humidity too.
Over the past couple weeks sometimes when i turn the key to start nothing would happen. Guages all wake up, nav and ctsy lights work, but turn the key and nothing.
I could get around it by just trying and trying.
Related?
I will appreciate any and all ideas.
Sure am glad to know about this site!!!
Thanks,
Doug

darkcalling 07-20-2011 01:10 PM

Re: Just keeps cranking and cranking. No start.

Fuel injected or carb? Also if it does have fuel I would say it is related to the kill switch if it doesn't want to even turn over with the key at times just a guess for now though. If you have buddy that you owe a pratical joke on get himt to hold a screw driver in one of the spark plug boots when you turn it over to check for spark.Oh yeah lots of ventilation if your smelling fuel.

MinnetonkaMariah 07-20-2011 02:36 PM

Carburator.
The only other thing I thought of since...my guage for air/sea temp has been wacky lately. Sometimes reading correctly, most other times jumping, always scrambling never really stopping on a number.

darkcalling 07-20-2011 03:08 PM

Ok you can check to make sure fuel is coming for sure if you have a friend or want to pump it manually to make sure fuel is squirting into the bowls. Sounds more like you may have some electric issues starting but check fuel at carb first.

ttownmatt 07-21-2011 01:35 AM

I had this issue on mine last year. It turned out to be the coil wire had come apart. It was located behide the breaker panel. Purple wire. Just a thought.

tweir 07-21-2011 02:37 AM

It takes fuel, fire and air for an engine to run. Verify all of these and you will find the problem. You can check the fire by having someone you don't like hold a plug wire while you crank. My 95 talari has a run and off switch on the throttle. Sounds simple but it got me one time. Good luck! Hope you find it.

WASTIN' MI TYME 10-31-2011 05:03 PM

I've had the same issue, mine turned out to be a bad coil, have to replace every other year for some reason.. Something for you to look at

klattu 10-31-2011 05:35 PM

Either fuel or fire.
Easy to test fuel... a short squirt of starter fluid.
If you see a short start, then it is fuel.
Your not tring to run it on fluid, just see if it responds.

If no response to starter fluid... it is fire.
Many locations for problems here.
See ideas above.

Do all this with engine fully open to air.

The kill switch has fooled many people, myself included.

My 210 Talari 11-18-2011 02:52 AM

mine is doing the same. Thought it was fire. Replaced ignition module. Still no go. Pleanty of fuel smell... so i thought. A little shot of starter fluid and starts and runs great. MY THOUGHTS..... Fuel pump has leak in diaphragm and it wont keep prime.. Its cam driven and mechanical so it makes sense in my brain... Will replace soon. Maybe electric pump...?

WASTIN' MI TYME 11-18-2011 10:49 AM

Thanks for the info My 210 Talari, I would have never check that, but it makes sense now..