The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Trim Switch Question (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/5751-trim-switch-question.html)

kelster1574 06-30-2011 02:45 AM

Trim Switch Question

Okay here it is, hopefuly it makes sense.

I have a 1991 Mariah Diablo with a 4.3 V6. It has a trim and a trailer switch on the throttle. The trim switch works to lower it, but not to raise it. The trailer switch will raise it. Does it sound like the trim switch?

Thanks for your help.

Tawakoni Paul 06-30-2011 03:12 AM

Re: Trim Switch Question

I have the same problem with my 1993 2350Z. Another member said that he found a broken wire in the handle assembly after much time spent troubleshooting this issue. The handle is difficult to take apart but there are good instructions in one of the forums. Someone also said that it is best to buy another button that we push to increase the RPM without putting the motor in gear, as we are likely to break the original one. Good luck searching for the solution and the repair. I have been too chicken to start the disassembly as I haven't bought the button yet.

Snoopinrob 06-30-2011 06:18 AM

I just went through this recently when purchasing my new 1996 Z200 Shabah, if you're having the same issue. If it's on the trailer it will only come up with the trailor trim unless you are able to lower it more than halfway down without hitting the ground. If you can you should be able to bring it up halfway with your normal trim switch but then you with still have to use the trailer trim to come the rest of the way up. It's a safety feature for keeping the outdrive low enough in the water to keep from damaging it internally from what I've been told. I hope this helps and is all your problem is! Good luck!

Dredd 06-30-2011 02:14 PM

Snoopinrob is right. On the other hand, if it's not coming up at all then the trim limit position might just need adjusted.

SEMIJim 07-02-2011 03:55 AM

kelster1574, there are two sensors on your outdrive. One is the trim position sensor, which drives your trim position gauge. The other is the trim limit sensor, or switch. That one prevents the trim up switch from raising the drive higher than it should be operated.

Often, if the trim up switch does not work, but the trailering switch does, the trim limit sensor needs to be replaced. It's a non-trivial operation. Read up on it, but, from what I've read, it's a job best left to the guys with the specialized tools.

Unfortunately, since I haven't had to troubleshoot this particular problem, myself, I cannot tell you how to determine whether it's your trim limit switch or the switch on the throttle lever. Look for an Alpha 1 schematic or maintenance manual, I guess.

Good luck.

Jim

csterner 07-02-2011 04:04 AM

Check this page out...Trim Limit

I would go through this adjustment and see if anything changes. The sender on your outdrive just might be dirty or out of adjustment. You can take the sender apart and clean the contacts first before you do the adjustment, just make sure to mark the position of everything first so you can put it back together the right way.

kelster1574 07-09-2011 07:05 PM

Thanks folks I will check it out.....heading out again tomorrow so we will see what happens