The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Fuel filter location on a 2000 7.4 MPI? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/489-fuel-filter-location-2000-7-4-mpi.html)

Jeff Barnett 11-10-2007 03:45 PM

Fuel filter location on a 2000 7.4 MPI?

Hi there, can someone tell me where the fuel filters are located on my 2000 7.4 mpi?
Thanks
Jeff

mikeyt 11-11-2007 04:07 PM

HI Jeff

I have to admit i dont know the answer to your question. I've never had a 7.4l but.....we need you to weigh in with your opinion on the 7.4L / Bravo 3 in the 'Introductions' thread for a post by a David Ward. He's seeking our opinions on that combo.

indykoch 11-12-2007 03:07 PM

Jeff,

I don't have that particular engine, but most of them have it on either side of the engine, way down low within a plastic enclosure. Pop the cover off and you should see it there. If not, try following the fuel line from the tank - it should be the first thing in-line from there.

Jeff Barnett 11-12-2007 03:26 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why it won't rev beyond 4200 rpm and 42 mph top speed. I had a "mechanic" come over, he turned out to be a moron, I knew way more about engines then he did so I sent him on his way. I found and changed the water separating fuel filter. It was on the starboard side in a plastic housing like you mentioned. What I did notice is the plastic housing had a watery type gook in it, not oil, not water not gas, water and gook mainly. Could this have been my problem? the inside of the spin on filter itself looked clean, and the gas I dumped out, was pure clear good gas.
Could this have been filtering however highly restricted, and causing fuel starve above 4200?? what does this filter do with the water it separates? Any takers??
I guess I'll find out wednesday when I take her out..

ShabahZ280 11-12-2007 03:53 PM

Jeff, have you checked out the 454/502 Fuel System manual in the contributor's section? From looking at it quickly, I saw there's the water/fuel seperator filter that you found, and there's also a filter located in the VST (vapor seperator tank) fuel pump. Page 201 shows the diagram. There's also some good troubleshooting diagrams in that one that might help you. Good luck with it, and let us know what you find out!

indykoch 11-12-2007 05:41 PM

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but do you know if the gimbal bearing has been replaced anytime soon?

This is what I experienced... I took it out for the first time in March. Found the top speed wasn't what I expected, much the same as you. The revs weren't where they should be either. I ended up having the marina take a look at the gimbal bearing. They said it was shot. After replacement, the first thing I noticed was how quiet the thing idled. I never realized it was supposed to be this quiet, so I never knew that bearing was bad. I instantly noticed a much better hole shot and top speed, right about what I expected when I bought it.

Do you hear any rumbling, knocking, or slight vibration? I know it's hard to think anything could be wrong if you never heard it when it was "right". You may want to look into it, otherwise I don't know what else could be wrong outside of a tune-up, fuel filter, etc. that you've already thought about.

S.L.P. 11-20-2007 09:15 PM

other fuel filter in-line

Jeff,
My marina mechanic and I ck'd the microfiche, for our 2000 7.4L, looking for a fuel filter other than the water separator . No other filter was found. It makes sense to me to have another filter between the tank and fuel pump. Apparently the fuel separator/filter is adequate. I asked if a small micron filter is available for better filtration. Mechanic was not aware of any. So I guess it pays to get a high quality separator and change it frequently.

Any water in the fuel will collect in the lowest point of the separator or fuel tank. Thats why we change it often and check it each time for any indication of water.
Any water in my fuel tank is frozen by now.
steve