The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Mariah Shabah 180 won't turn over suddenly? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/4390-mariah-shabah-180-wont-turn-over-suddenly.html)

VF143_vet 07-03-2010 02:18 PM

Mariah Shabah 180 won't turn over suddenly?

Hi,

I have a 1998, Shabah 180 that runs great. After a day out on the lake I pulled in to the dock and shut down. Five minutes later the boat won't even turn over. It's not the battery, I was starting and stopping it all day, tried to jump it, even tried another battery. When the key is turned all instrument needles move but nothing from the starter. Not even a click. Does anyone have any suggestions? My manual does not show electrical wiring to the engine. Is there a start relay? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Steve

SEMIJim 07-03-2010 02:37 PM

Re: Mariah Shabah 180 won't turn over suddenly?

Sounds like the starter solenoid. I have seen sporadic reports on the 'net of them not wanting to work sometimes once everything has gotten hot, then the engine is shut off. When this is reported, usually letting everything cool down "fixes" the problem. Sometimes giving the starter solenoid a few firm (not hard, but firm) raps with a wrench handle or the like sometimes gets them working again. (Careful: There be HIGH AMPS thar!)

Given the nature of your question, tho, I suspect you don't know much about how engines work? Anybody around who can show you? Perhaps you should consider getting the MerCruiser (I assume you have a MerCruiser engine and outdrive) manuals for your engine and outdrive? You might also want to consider obtaining a copy of Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems, which I've seen highly recommended in a number of forums.

Jim

mikeyt 07-03-2010 05:45 PM

I think Jim has the likely cause nailed down. As for manuals....they are available here on our site for download to contributing members.

VF143_vet 07-04-2010 06:02 PM

Thanks guys. Big help. I was actually thinking of the solenoid but someone mentioned my boat may have a starting relay. Didn't see it on the electrical schematics though.I am going to get the recommended manuals from your site. i guess i'll have to contribute! Thanks again and you guys have a great 4th of July weekend.

VF143_vet 07-04-2010 06:05 PM

Hey one more question. Do you guys know how to tell what model my Mariah may be? There is a limited, MX, Diablo, editions etc. Just by looking at my VIN# doesn't really help me out as far as I can tell. I bought it used. 1998 Mariah Shabah 180.

mikeyt 07-04-2010 06:32 PM

You just answered your question. It's a Shabah. They only made a 180 Shabah in 1998. If you want absolute confirmation then send your hull ID# in a PM to ShabahZ250 and he will check the build records.