The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Dummy me Bought with cracked block (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/4122-dummy-me-bought-cracked-block.html)

tarheelnow 05-25-2010 02:33 AM

Dummy me Bought with cracked block

Is the only option when your block is cracked is change motors? I know another option is to ged rid of it, but I want to keep it.

Dredd 05-25-2010 03:12 AM

Re: Dummy me Bought with cracked block

Minor ones can be fixed. There's some hope for you but, I don't know details about it.

tarheelnow 05-25-2010 11:44 AM

Thanks, I would love to know.

Dredd 05-25-2010 07:26 PM

I've been curious about this so I looked around a little to see how it's done. It's called lacing. Here's a decent thread on iboats where a guy explains it. Good luck! And keep us updated.

tarheelnow 05-25-2010 07:56 PM

Thanks Dredd, My damage is confined to the outer wall and barely leaks as of now. Just bought boat two weeks ago. My mechanic found it, hard to see because it didn't spray or anything. I ask him about running it through this summer and he said it could very possibly last that long, just keep an eye on it , don't over do it and don't venture away from help too far. I've had it out twice without knowing about problem. Once four two hours and once six hours. The lacing procedure is interesting. I'll see what my mechanic thinks.

300sflyer 05-30-2010 10:59 PM

Have you checked the engine oil? If the level is higher than normal, or it is milky, the block is cracked intenally as well. The only fix is a new block.

tarheelnow 06-01-2010 04:03 PM

Checked oil, It's not milky or above normal. If it is inevitable, I would try anything first, if there is known success.

jb57 03-27-2011 06:45 PM

Have a 1993 4.3 LX. Removed and replaced head gaskets, exaust manufold gaskets, intake mainifold gaskets, had the heads and intake manifold magnifluxed for cracks. reassembled and still getting water in the oil. Other than an internal crack with the engine block, what else could it be and is cast iron weldable?

Reed Hatch 03-28-2011 02:41 AM

I've had a v drive boat with exterior crack in the block just below the head. Replaced the block after a couple of years but not because of the crack. Rebuilt it because of a broken ring, changed the block at the same time. exterior crack can be welded or glued with PC7

tarheelnow 03-28-2011 02:48 PM

I will be using it for the second year coming up. Has not been a problem so far. I will run it until there is. Minor leaking at this time, I really can't tell that it is leaking except for the rust underneath the crack. Thanks for your advice. I will try that it becomes a problem.
Thanks Again