The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   de-winterizing my Alpha One (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/3894-de-winterizing-my-alpha-one.html)

depman160 04-12-2010 07:19 PM

de-winterizing my Alpha One

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, but I am looking for a "do-it-yourself" way to de-winterize my boat for the summer.

There are several threads about winterizing engines, but didn't seem to see any on how to get ready for spring.

Please help! Thanks!

As like most, I am looking to be able to do things myself to save from have to spend tons of cash by having someone else do it for me.

mikeyt 04-12-2010 08:57 PM

Re: de-winterizing my Alpha One

All i've ever done to 'de-winterize' my boat in the spring (after its been winterized in the fall) is to give her a cleanup, install the battery, put in fresh gas and fire her up. Other than maybe putting in fresh spark plugs & changing the engine oil (not absolutely necessary if done in the fall) there isn't much else to do.

depman160 04-12-2010 09:02 PM

the oils were all changed in the fall.
What about the anti-freeze in the engine? Doesn't it have to come out?

mikeyt 04-12-2010 09:21 PM

Nope. It will become diluted and flushed out when you run the boat.

300sflyer 04-12-2010 09:50 PM

I always like to run the engine up on muffs in the driveway, to burn off the fogging oil from the fall, and be sure all of the gauges are working properly. No one like surprises after you have launched it. ;)

depman160 04-13-2010 01:25 AM

so basically, just hook up the muffs, fire it up and let it run for a few minutes?
Seems way too easy...makes me a little nervous....

mikeyt 04-13-2010 02:41 AM

Yep, it is fairly easy. As 300sflyer suggested, its a good time to check your blower/gauges/trim/trailer lights and anything else you can think of to make sure its working before you hit the water.

Weezer 04-13-2010 01:07 PM

I just pulled my 93 Barchetta out into the driveway. I hooked up the mouse ears and started it up. It was not too happy about starting and running smooth with all that fogging oil. After it burned off, it ran smooth. Remember to no run up too far past 1500 rpm (could collapse the hose - so they say).
Antifreeze went down the sewer (safe stuff). Now, all I need is the wind to stop blowing so I can take the boat out.:)

depman160 04-13-2010 11:13 PM

I guess I am concerned that the marina used regular anti-freeze, as opposed to the potable stuff that is safe for the environment.

I don't want to go dumping stuff onto the street that is going to kill fish and all that...

WetWilly 04-13-2010 11:51 PM

Don't you guys have to put the drain plugs back in the block and exhaust before you start her up or do you keep them in all winter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by depman160 (Post 21347)
I guess I am concerned that the marina used regular anti-freeze, as opposed to the potable stuff that is safe for the environment.

I don't want to go dumping stuff onto the street that is going to kill fish and all that...

Out here in Cali, all street drains lead to the "ocean", so if it's the same for you, then before running the muffs, you might want to check your local laws about dumping possible hazardous waste in the drains and the same goes for the lakes or rivers. I've heard EPA fines can be very expensive!

WetWilly