The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Engine replacement (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/3620-engine-replacement.html)

ckgreenman 01-11-2010 12:09 AM

Engine replacement

I'm recovering from a botched repower and am looking at putting a new engine in my 1996 Talari 209. The problem is, I can't afford to go new and have already been burned once with rebuilt. I have no problem rebuilding an engine myself (with a lot of help of course) but I have no idea what to look for as a starter engine.

With all that in mind I'd like to hear what everyone here suggest I do and which direction I should start heading to get my boat back on the water.

ShabahZ280 01-11-2010 12:01 PM

Re: Engine replacement

I would try to go the rebuilt route, just get it from a quality remanufacturer. I hear the name Michigan Motorz tossed around the net all the time as a great resource. You might want to check them out. They carry new as well as remanufactured engines, and their prices are pretty decent.

MichiganMotorz.com

Hope this helps, keep us updated!

ckgreenman 01-11-2010 12:50 PM

Thanks Chris. I've seen their site before although my local boat mechanic has had less than perfect dealings with them. Someone on iboats recommended Marine Engine Blocks (No Core Charge) but I'm still a little gun shy about getting another rebuilt engine off the internet. I'm still looking around at local options too, as well as just buying a cheap, rebuildable, engine from around the same year and building it up myself.

warner0308 01-12-2010 02:54 AM

whats wrong with your motor? what size is it? theres a company called jasper they do rebuilt with warr. i know a couple of peaple that used them and had good luck. theres got to be a good machine shop locall by you that can give good advice. plus with locall if ther are any issues you can visit them.

ckgreenman 01-12-2010 03:20 AM

Warner, Yeah, I'm familiar with Jasper When I was getting the original motor replace the mechanic would have used a Jasper but they didn't have an engine that matches my 350 Magnum. There are lots of places local ( I live in NASCAR country) So I might look at that route. There is another boat shop locally who said he rebuilds as well.

As for what's wrong, It's a long list:

1 head is cracked, valve spring pressure on both heads is too low for the roller cam, push rods are either too short or are bending, valves are all shot (apparently I was running too lean) there is a possibility one of the exhaust manifolds may be cracked (still need to test those to be sure) I have no idea what shape the block is in other than there was water in the #5 (from the cracked head) and signs of rust in the #8 combustion chamber. The carb was full of gunk too but I'm rebuilding it (and getting a replacement Edelbrock for free).