The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   *Grrrind* *CLUNK*! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/2887-grrrind-clunk.html)

SEMIJim 07-04-2009 01:22 AM

*Grrrind* *CLUNK*!

We took possession of our new-to-use '94 Mariah 182 Barchetta today! :)

A potential issue, perhaps: When going from neutral to forward, she makes a rather disturbing (to us, anyway) *grrrind* *clunk*. I don't recall her doing that when we originally sea-trialed her. She was re-powered with a re-built Mercruiser 4.3L V6 due to the original having a cracked block--discovered after that sea trial. I'm wondering if maybe the throttle linkage needs bit of adjustment? Maybe the engine is gaining a few too many RPMs before the throttle is far enough advanced to engage forward? We don't get the *grrrind* *clunk*, just a mild *clunk*, going into reverse.

Thanks,
Jim

WetWilly 07-04-2009 08:28 AM

Re: *Grrrind* *CLUNK*!

Hi Jim,

I would check the shift cable to see if it needs a little adjusting. If you want to try doing it yourself, read this: Click here.

WetWilly

SEMIJim 07-04-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 16120)
Hi Jim,

I would check the shift cable to see if it needs a little adjusting.

Both The Admiral and I don't recall hearing that before the re-powering, and all that was done to the outdrive was an impeller and fluid change. The seller suggested the idle is just a bit high?

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 16120)
If you want to try doing it yourself, read this: Click here.

WetWilly

That looks easy enough :), but it'd have to wait until we can get her out to a sand-bar, as she's already in her slip, and getting her back out would be doable, but a hassle. These things are on the shifter end of the cable, from the looks of that drawing?

Thanks, WW!

Jim

300sflyer 07-04-2009 02:33 PM

Adjusting the shift cable, should really be done when the drive is fully down anyway, so you may want to give it a shot while its in the slip. As Wet Willy pointed out, it really is not that difficult. ;)

The adjustments are on the top of the engine, next to the carb.

SEMIJim 07-04-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300sflyer (Post 16128)
Adjusting the shift cable, should really be done when the drive is fully down anyway, so you may want to give it a shot while its in the slip.

Not in our slip. It's at the very end of a canal and both the water and the bottom are very nasty.

By the way, while we're on the subject of slips: You have to be very careful getting in the water in slips. Several people have been electrocuted, over the years, in the water in marinas due to electrical faults. Believe-it-or-not, this is actually more dangerous in fresh water than salt.

Quote:

As Wet Willy pointed out, it really is not that difficult. ;)

Yeah, it looks pretty simple. Once we get her registered, we'll just head out to one of the local sand bars, throw the hook out, and get 'er done.

Quote:

The adjustments are on the top of the engine, next to the carb.

Ah, great! Easy to get to, then.

Thanks,
Jim

SEMIJim 07-08-2009 04:19 AM

Without touching anything, it looks like the grrrrind clunk problem is solved. I was just being too tentative with the throttle/shifter.

Thanks,
Jim

Z 202 07-08-2009 05:11 PM

Yes the Alpha has a very positive "clunk" when you put it into gear. Always shift firmly and deliberately, avoid the gear grinding sound at all costs.