The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Alpha drive cracked (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/2327-alpha-drive-cracked.html)

shoc 04-18-2009 03:24 AM

Alpha drive cracked

I screwed up big time guys!! I was backing down the ramp today and wasn't even paying attention that when I unhooked the wench line, that I also unhooked the safety chain and the boat rolled right off the trailer half way until the the lower unit hit the ground! OUCH! It put a hairline crack in the lower part of the lower unit on the bottom from hitting the ground.
Should I order a new lower housing or just get the aluminum welded? I noticed that when the oil started leaking out, it was milky and I hadn't even put it in the water yet. I apparently have some seals leaking or something.
Need advice guys!!!!!

Thanks,
Shoc:(:(

mikeyt 04-18-2009 03:27 AM

Re: Alpha drive cracked

I would probably go on the safe side and replace it with a rebuilt or new lower leg.

ShabahZ280 04-18-2009 04:52 AM

yep, I'd consider replacing it versus trying to repair it. Better safe than sorry.

Z 202 04-18-2009 12:56 PM

x3. If the crack is leaking oil, the damage is probably more structural than cosmetic. I go with replacing the entire lower housing.

shoc 04-18-2009 01:10 PM

does anyone know where the least expensive one is that I can get.

mikeyt 04-18-2009 05:59 PM

Midnight boat parts or off someone elses boat when they're not looking? ;)

I'll have to defer to members down in your area on that one....

300sflyer 04-18-2009 08:40 PM

Sorry to hear about what happened!.. :(

Had you thought about calling your insurance company? After all it was an accident. That’s what they are for.

You may want to have the transom inspected as well. It sounds like you gave it a pretty good whack!

Hope everything turns out ok.:wink_thumbup:

WetWilly 04-21-2009 09:52 PM

Hey shoc, you're not alone, we've all had brain farts sometime or another.... :eek_animated:

Anyway, I agree with 300sflyer! If you have insurance, I'd use it! That's why we have it, right...and don't forget to have entire strendrive check as well, a contact strong enough to crack the lower leg might have damaged something else like the gimbal housing or pivots.

Better safe than sorry,
WetWilly

stecoleco 04-30-2009 08:31 PM

hey sorry to hear about your troubles. I have your same unit and it breaks your heart.

I have noted in the past alot of guys recommending replacing the lower unit housing using insurance for minor damage like broken skegs, fins, chips to cavitation plates etc. While this makes perfect sense, it sounds like for you insurance paying the cost may not be an option.

if you trying to do this on the cheap, and assuming all these insurance claims, there should be alot of good used housings that only need minor repair welds on a finn or something like that.

The boat shop near my home has two sitting in thier bone yard with borken skegs or finns, so it may pay to look around or check ebay.

good luck.