The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Replacing Water Pump Impeller (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/2298-replacing-water-pump-impeller.html)

PROPNUT 04-14-2009 03:07 AM

Replacing Water Pump Impeller

I need to replace the impeller on my water pump (4.3L alpha one). Can someone tell me how difficult this is to do by myself. I have looked at the link that shows how to do it but would like to hear from someone who has actually done it. Are there any special tricks/secrets to this? Is it really necessary to remove the prop? I would prefer to do this myself if possible. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks! Propnut

300sflyer 04-15-2009 01:32 AM

Re: Replacing Water Pump Impeller

I have done three of them now. Not really that complicated if you have a set of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, ect.. and are somewhat handy. You will also need an oil pump to refill the outdrive with oil when you are finished. You don't have to remove the prop, but anything you can do to lighten the outdrive is best. Its heavy enough as it is. I removed the outdrive completely to do it. That way you can check for water in the bellows, and check the u-joints and gimble bearing at the same time. Some leave the outdrive attached, and just drop the bottom end. Your best bet would be to by a manual. They come in very handy.:wink_thumbup:

Hope that helps,

lncoppola 04-15-2009 01:56 AM

Hi,
Mike is right, not really a hard job. The only problem I've ever had, is separating the upper and lower halves. The aluminum seems to oxidize and make it hard to separate. Whatever you do, resist trying to separate them by hammering a screwdriver or chisel between the two halves, this will damage the mating surfaces. A block of wood and some penatrating oil should do the trick.

Nick

PROPNUT 04-15-2009 02:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have everything you listed for the job, just was not sure if I wanted to tackle it myself or hire it and have my boat stored at the shop for two weeks or more.
By the way, do you really fly an Extra 300S? I'm an airplane NUT!
Rick

PROPNUT 04-15-2009 02:39 AM

Nick,
Thanks for the advice. I have to ask though, what is the block of wood for?
Rick

300sflyer 04-15-2009 02:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PROPNUT (Post 13362)
By the way, do you really fly an Extra 300S? I'm an airplane NUT!
Rick

Indeed I do, but my feet stay on the ground.:wink_thumbup:

PROPNUT 04-15-2009 03:10 AM

Nice! I have an Aeroworks 50cc Extra 260 with a DA 50. Also a 31% CA Models Extra 330, and a half dozen others of assorted size and type. LOVE IT!!
Looks like you are sponsored by Futaba.
Rick

300sflyer 04-15-2009 10:26 PM

RC flying is a passion of mine too! Been doing it for about 40 years. Futaba is one of my sponsors, among others. Have you ever been to the Joe Nall fun fly in SC? Its coming up next month.

If you have any other questions about your outdrive repair, just ask.:wink_thumbup:

PROPNUT 04-18-2009 02:22 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will be able to handle this. If I get stuck I may be getting back to you!!
Rick