The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Engine parts (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/11959-engine-parts.html)

Tlolesen 05-14-2018 10:54 PM

Engine parts

This is my second summer as a boat owner. I didn't do any maintenance last year because the previous owner had it done. I have worked plenty on vehicle's over the years. My question is while looking at website's for a serpentine belt why would a belt for a 4.3 GM motor cost 2 to 4 time's more than a belt for my Ford truck? Hopefully I am looking in the wrong place, also any suggestions on a good website for things like fuel and oil filters. Also I was thinking of changing the oil to a synthetic, any comments on weights and I can't think of any reason why it would cause any problems switching. Thanks for any comments. Also I am in Phoenix so if anyone around here has a local place for parts let me know.

Motoxxx43 05-15-2018 02:27 AM

Re: Engine parts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tlolesen (Post 64501)
My question is while looking at website's for a serpentine belt why would a belt for a 4.3 GM motor cost 2 to 4 time's more than a belt for my Ford truck?

I have not looked up that exact belt but I can tell you that in my experience anything "marine" is going to come with a bigger price tag than "automotive". While I do buy Mercruiser parts there is Sierra and Quicksilver stuff that is just as good in my opinion. They are not as expensive as mercruiser.

As for the oil... That always turns into some sort of debate. As much time as I have spent on Bobistheoilguy.com or any other forum reading about oils I still have no idea why it is so important to an owner to run synthetic oil in a motor that doesnt call for it. Seems it all boils down to preference or "because I can" or "Its synesthetic so its better" . Bottom line is if oil is changed at regular intervals there should not be a problem. The manual will tell you to run 25w40 or a straight weight of 20, 30 or 40 depending on the temp.

Tlolesen 05-15-2018 11:12 AM

Marine parts I understand that they are going to be more expensive but a serpentine belt on boat motor should be the same as a car with the same accessories. Unless it's made of some other kind of rubber

pole trick 05-16-2018 04:14 PM

Unless do to external components and locations vs automotive ones make it a special size?
Could be quality of belt..marine parts are usually heavy duty vs automotive...look the same and smell the same but...inside different. Alot of marine stuff is all anti spark or arc also .

pole trick 05-16-2018 04:22 PM

Far as oil I would run only mercury type oils and what your manual calls for. Merc put alot of testing in on them and won't not change. Marine oils usually have anticorrosion and antimoisture stuff added.

pole trick 05-16-2018 04:27 PM

There cheap China sh++ out and even fake O.E.M out there, but when your miles from home and you stranded do to some cheap knock off parts..that few bucks you saved just cost you....go to your trusted local dealer ship and bite the bullet...if it failing will cause you to swim home buy the real stuff

Tlolesen 05-16-2018 09:42 PM

Thanks I will look for a local parts house. Do you use anyone on-line and if so who.

Tlolesen 05-17-2018 01:51 AM

Also a question about the fuel water separator. Is it just as simple as unscrew and reinstall. And this the only fuel filter?

pole trick 05-17-2018 07:00 AM

I am kinda spoiled living in WI with Merc in my back yard and got 5 merc dealerships with in 30 min where I live. I realize there are lot of places around the US that are hours from a good marina. For noncritial boat stuff amazon...for other more important stuff Overton's their Website I find hard to find what want, so I ask for one of there old school catalogs find what I want and call in the order. Everthing else mercruiser wise dealership...or find a real merc dealership with Website ordering.