The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Mercury MerCruiser (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/)
-   -   Vibration when outdrive trimmed up (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/mercury-mercruiser/11648-vibration-when-outdrive-trimmed-up.html)

Luecke83 07-17-2017 08:06 PM

Vibration when outdrive trimmed up

I bought a 1995 Barchetta 182 with the 4.3L and Alpha 1 this spring. The boat has been awesome all summer until this last weekend. There were 4 of us cruising across the lake when I started to pick up a vibration. I was running around 30-35 mph and around 3800 rpm. I didn’t hit anything and was in 25-30 feet of water. I slowed down a little and it got worse. I trimmed the outdrive down and the vibration went away. I slowly gave it more throttle and was fine until I trimmed up and the vibration got worse. So I slowed down again and trimmed the out drive back down. We were able to run around 25 mph, trimmed almost all the way down, back to the dock and loaded up. The vibration didn’t seem to change any while turning. My first thought is gimbal bearing but before I order parts and pull the outdrive off I thought I would ask if anyone else has ran into this problem.

Firestone 07-17-2017 08:28 PM

Re: Vibration when outdrive trimmed up

Does it vibrate only when turning or both?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Luecke83 07-17-2017 08:59 PM

Both, if it is trimmed up.

Hudson River Steve 07-17-2017 10:01 PM

Could be a loose u joint. You will need to pull the drive to inspect both the u joints and the gimbal bearing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Luecke83 07-21-2017 03:35 AM

I pulled the outdrive off tonight and everything looks good. The u-joints are tight and the gimbal bearing is smooth. I'm not sure where to look next.

Firestone 07-21-2017 04:51 AM

Going through a similar situation. Had vibration mainly turning. U joint and bearing are fine. He moved to power steering, uggg b.o.a.t.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Luecke83 07-21-2017 01:11 PM

I was reading another guy had a similar problem. His vibration ended up being a misfire under load. He ended up replacing the cap, rotor, plug wires and spark plugs to take care of it. That's probably going to be the next place I look.

Hudson River Steve 07-21-2017 01:46 PM

While you have the outdrive off closely inspect your coupler for wear on the splines and for evidence of the metal splines slipping. BTW, were the driveshaft splines well greased?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Luecke83 07-21-2017 02:55 PM

The splines were greased well. I'll look again tonight but the splines look good on the drive shaft and in the coupler.

Luecke83 07-22-2017 01:16 PM

The splines in the coupler and on the shaft look good.