The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Looking to buy Mariah MX19 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/958-looking-buy-mariah-mx19.html)

CAboater 04-11-2008 10:18 PM

Looking to buy Mariah MX19

Hi - I've decided to not rely on others for boating so.... I'm looking. A 1991 MX19 has caught my eye. I'm a single mom and need a boat with minimal problems. I'm told the engine is a Chevy and top speed is 48. Original owner, unknown hours and appears to be in decent shape. Compared to Bayliner - any comments? I thought it'd be a merc engine but, what do I know!?! It'll be used mainly at Lake Havasu, AZ

thanks!
J~

Mark 04-11-2008 10:58 PM

Lake Havasu party lake. Just seen the new tv show on that lake on mondays. Post some pics if you can and get some more info on it and pass it along im sure someone out here can help you out. Good luck PS Talk to dudders or mikeyt about bayliners i think they have one.

mikeyt 04-12-2008 01:12 AM

Mark's a smart-ass, Mark is. :rolling_laugh::rolling_laugh:

Bayliners are like Hyundai cars from 10 yrs ago and were not in the same league as the original Mariah's from the '90's. The original Mariah's were seen as an upscale boat and even the new Mariahs are still quite good as well as being better than the equivalent size Bayliner. Top speed of '48' would likely indicate a 4.3L Mercruiser (which is based on the GM 4.3L auto engine) and it likely has an Alpha 1 outdrive? If you dont have much experience in checking boats/motors/outdrives etc.. i would suggest taking someone along that does. The '91 is about 17 yrs old now so you will need to check her carefully and you will want to do a water test to make sure everything works. If she is as good as you think then you will have a very nice first boat!

180diablo 04-12-2008 03:12 AM

Here is Chris (ShabahZ250) our Admin guy waving to some Bayliner .. umm peoples. (look in the background.. that's him)

http://www.mariahownersclub.com/foru...4&d=1204232064

Yeah, due to the age of that boat, I would have someone walk over it with a fine toothed comb to check for anything. If the previous owner babied the boat (as all mariahs should be) then it could be a worthwhile investment.

Have the hull inspected, engine, outdrive etc, take 'er for a spin on the lake and go from there. As long as it is taken care of, then it shouldn't give you many problems.

ShabahZ280 04-12-2008 12:20 PM

Just to clarify everything, since it's probably somewhat confusing for a new member. Bayliner is a big joke on this forum. It's almost like a curse word around here and everyone pokes fun at people who mention them. Reason being, Bayliner is a basic entry level boat, and have been for years.

What sets Mariah's apart are the build quality and the number of options. Mariah began building boats in 1989, so the 91 model won't be overly equipped with gadgets like the later ones. Still though, Mariah's are "equipped like no other boat in the world". And built to last. It should provide you with a great boating experience if it's been properly maintained and taken care of. In the earlier days, Mariah offered 3 types of engines, Mercruiser, Volvo Penta, and OMC. Most any marine service shop can repair these engines. And any other issues that arise concerning the boat, we're all here to help!

Do you have any more details on the boat? photos, price, etc? We'll all help make sure you're making the right decision! Keep us updated!! :wink_thumbup:

dudders 04-12-2008 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 5550)
Mark's a smart-ass, Mark is. :rolling_laugh::rolling_laugh:

Bayliners are like Hyundai cars from 10 yrs ago and were not in the same league as the original Mariah's from the '90's. The original Mariah's were seen as an upscale boat and even the new Mariahs are still quite good as well as being better than the equivalent size Bayliner.

Too true about Mark there Mikey :wink_thumbup:.
I do get to borrow Mikey's Bayliner once in a while just to make me appreciate my beautiful Mariah just that little bit more.

Good luck on your purchase J, I know the guys here with all their expertise will put you on the right track. Checking out some of the pictures in the Gallery may give you a better idea to compare your boat.

mikeyt 04-12-2008 07:54 PM

I borrowed the Bayliner i was using from Chris....he said he always keeps a spare one handy. :)

CAboater 04-14-2008 04:05 PM

She

Thanks all! Well, to make the story short, my Mariah is coming home with me tonight. I got a second opinion - the boat's been maintained well and the engine looks and sounds good. Yes, it's a 4.3 merc with alpha outdrive. The original owner's home and garage shows care and maintenance as well. Any suggestions on bring back the shine to the painted detail? The black is more dark grey now. I'll def. take pics. She'll probably get introduced to Lake Elsinore first (close to home) then on to Havasu. If you don't know Havasu - gotta come sometime! Although oil is clean - will change. Also desire to move the bimini from laying to the front to laying to the rear ---- I'm SO excited! ~~J

Z 202 04-14-2008 04:17 PM

Congratulations on your "membership" in the club.

As for the finish, check out the Meguiars 3 step fiberglass restoration kit. It contains an oxidation remover, a polish and a wax. It'll be a lot of elbow grease to get it done, but you will probably be very satisified with the results. I did mine last spring, and got nothing but positive comments on how sharp my boat looked afterwards. Most people couldn't believe it was 12 year old hull...

mikeyt 04-14-2008 04:32 PM

I'll echo Z202's comments! Congrats!! If you have any problems or questions feel free to post away here cuz that's what we're all here for. :)