The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   new to me 1995 shabah z202 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/7610-new-me-1995-shabah-z202.html)

kjdevrou 11-19-2012 07:58 PM

Re: new to me 1995 shabah z202

18 Attachment(s)
here are some before pics of the shabah z202 I just bought. this is how it looks now (same as the day i brought it home). I will get some after pics after I get it all cleaned up.

Dredd 11-20-2012 02:10 PM

Congrats on the new ride. Looks like some elbow grease will go a long way on that one. I'll be looking forward to seeing the after pics.

allz28 11-20-2012 02:24 PM

That interior looks darn good. Mine was covered in mold.

I have the same problem with the gelcoat being faded. What is the best product to use to restore it?

kjdevrou 11-20-2012 02:52 PM

Mikeyt said " Meguairs make a very good 3 step cleaning process that should put a shine back on the hull."
I'm not sure where to get it. maybe mikeyt can help us out.

allz28 11-20-2012 03:09 PM

oops, missed that in his post.

ShabahZ280 11-20-2012 04:41 PM

"Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration Kit".

It's available at West Marine, Bass Pro Shops, and even some Wal-Marts if they carry marine products. You can also buy online from a number of retailers.

I've used it and can honestly say it works very well. Yes it's a little work, but the end result is well worth the time and effort.

Also, for your interior, give the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers a try. They work wonders. There's all kinds of cleaning tips and tricks on the site!

kjdevrou 11-20-2012 04:58 PM

thanks, I don't mind the work if the results are good.
I might wait till spring to start cleaning. i don't want any cracks from everything being cold.(if I can keep my hands off it????)
I'm also l thinking of waiting to start it til spring. I will most likely pull the plugs and spray some fogging oil in each cylinder and turn the motor over by hand, then just start her when the weather breaks. I figure its only 4 months from now. its going to be a long 4 months. maybe a quick vacuum wouldn't hurt;)

Zackattack 11-21-2012 04:45 AM

Congratulations on a great boat!

I would spend as much time on it as possible now if you have the time. It will only allow you the time to get all the little bugs worked out. I would recommend a marine mechanic now that things are slow go through the out drive and change fluids. You should get done now for much less than in the spring and if there are any issues you will have time to prepare for a repair instead of forced to do cause summer is here.

Whatever pace you choose, you have a nice boat and will enjoy it very much. Congratulations.

kjdevrou 11-21-2012 12:20 PM

thanks Zack.
when you say go thought the out drive, what do you mean? what would need to be done? the boat only has 52 hours. I am more concerned about the motor sitting for the 3 years than the out drive.
am I missing something?
the out drive has new oil in it(3 years ago) and hasn't been in the water since. what would they do to go though it?

Zackattack 11-21-2012 03:09 PM

Even though the fluid was changed three years ago, I would flush it with new as well as have a pro look at the bellows and make sure they have not deteriorated with time. Maybe someone else can chime in on whether or not the impeller would be fine. You would know it was fine though if you were to have it all correctly gone through is all I was recommending. There's a lot of value in the confidence of a newly maintained unit.

I agree about the motor concern too, and I think I would use the off season to get a good mechanic to get her running and freshly tuned up to save on some cash as well as be confident you can use her for the entire season(when it comes).

Just my opinion though. Nice looking boat.