The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   New member, Looking at a 2008 SX25 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/6245-new-member-looking-2008-sx25.html)

bigden 11-04-2011 07:55 PM

New member, Looking at a 2008 SX25

Hi, I am going to see a 2008 SX25 tomorrow. The boat is advertised to have low hours on the engine but when I asked the seller what the hour meter reads, he stated he couldn't find the meter. He says he is selling this for an uncle.

I thought the 2008 has an hour meter. Am I mistaken? Any advice, suggestions or possible red flags to watch out for would be appreciated. Thanks: :)

mikeyt 11-05-2011 12:34 AM

Re: New member, Looking at a 2008 SX25

The boat may or may not have an hour meter but if there is one it will either be on the console or on the transom near the engine. The usual stuff applies when looking at these boats. Ask to see maintenance records, water test it if possible, checking the general cleanliness of the boat will give you an idea of whether it was looked after reasonably well, check the bilge area for debris, check the oil level & outdrive fluid levels, make sure all of the electrical switches work & that the trim (and gauge) work properly.

bigden 11-05-2011 02:19 AM

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

bigden 11-05-2011 06:48 PM

I checked out the 2008 SX25 this morning. For a 2008, the appearance was fair at best. The hull had several spider cracks. It also had multiple dings and gashes on each side. Cushions in bow had severally faded and looked mismatched. The engine started right up but I couldn't find a hour meter on the console or transom. The seller said engine had about 20 hours but said the fading cushions were a result of usage since boat was always covered. Somewhat of a disconnect. Would need a marine survey to pursue.

Given the well-worn appearance of the boat, I afraid the engine was treated the same way and probably has several hundred hours not 20. I think I will pass on this one.

mikeyt 11-05-2011 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigden (Post 33102)
I checked out the 2008 SX25 this morning. For a 2008, the appearance was fair at best. The hull had several spider cracks. It also had multiple dings and gashes on each side. Cushions in bow had severally faded and looked mismatched. The engine started right up but I couldn't find a hour meter on the console or transom. The seller said engine had about 20 hours but said the fading cushions were a result of usage since boat was always covered. Somewhat of a disconnect. Would need a marine survey to pursue.

Given the well-worn appearance of the boat, I afraid the engine was treated the same way and probably has several hundred hours not 20. I think I will pass on this one.

Sounds like that might be the wise choice.