The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   New Owner 1991 Mariah MX19 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/6191-new-owner-1991-mariah-mx19.html)

boater10 09-30-2011 05:56 PM

New Owner 1991 Mariah MX19

Hi everyone,
I am a new Mariah owner. About 2 months ago I bought a 1991 Mariah model mx19. It was badly maintained (mechanical) but vinyl and covers were in good shape. It has a Yamaha 4.3L engine with a Yamaha Stern Drive. I bought it as a restoration project but am having trouble finding Yamaha parts.
Anyone any suggestions? Also the paint (Green & White) is badly oxidized (no scrapes or damage though). Any suggestions on bring new life to the paint.
Thanks for any help and I will report as the restore goes - probably over this winter season.
Ron (AKA boater10)

mikeyt 09-30-2011 07:10 PM

Re: New Owner 1991 Mariah MX19

Welcome aboard Ron. Restoring an older boat can be a bit of an issue when it comes to finding parts. Fortunately it sounds like the parts that are very difficult to find (such as interior trim pieces / glass etc) are still in good shape on yours. As for the paint restoration and locating Yamaha parts have a look thru our Maintenance section. There is one forum for General Maintenance where you should find a few threads on the paint/gelcoat restoration process and one for "Yamaha, OMC & Other Engines" which should cover your other need although i admit there isn't much there due to the rarity of Yamaha engine/outdrive combos on Mariah boats.

boater10 09-30-2011 11:32 PM

Thanks Mikey - I will have a peek at the sections you mentioned. This is boat # 10 I have owned in my lifetime (now retired) and I must admit that the Yamaha stuff got by me. Never owned a Mariah before & figured that was what Mariah's had in them. The previous owner couldn't get it to run without it stalling all the time. I took the hood off the carb and removed the flame arrestor - it was plugged solid. A wash & blow out solved the stalling problem for me. He just wanted to get rid of it so $1,000 is all I have invested at the moment. Anyhow tks for the info & I will post my progress periodically.
Boater10

Dredd 10-03-2011 05:57 PM

Welcome aboard, Boater10. I'll be looking forward to seeing and hearing about your progress.

boater10 10-03-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dredd (Post 32823)
Welcome aboard, Boater10. I'll be looking forward to seeing and hearing about your progress.

Thanks Dredd - It will be a winter project so will update later with before & after photos. I'm in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
Boater10

mikeyt 10-04-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boater10 (Post 32831)
Thanks Dredd - It will be a winter project so will update later with before & after photos. I'm in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
Boater10

When you have a moment and if you haven't already done so, please take the time to pin yourself on our Member Map!

DFZ272 10-04-2011 01:48 PM

Welcome to the forum Ron. If it makes you feel any better, I have never found a bad marine product made by Yamaha. I have had a couple of yamaha outboards and I still have an old Yamaha Wave Runner that runs like a champ. Lot of helpful and informative people on here who offer great advice.
Happy Boating
Dan

boater10 10-05-2011 12:01 AM

Thanks Dan. I have been talking to Capt Ken in Florida and I think he might have the stern drive parts I need. Will be near his place on our way to Sarasota in Jan. so will stop off there for a look see. (I am in Ontario and that will be our winter break) I feel much more comfortable having this website as a resource. Also I just ordered a shop manual from Amazon, so that will provide some much needed info.
Steady as she goes.
Ron