The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   mariah shabah 212 owners manuel and info (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/6059-mariah-shabah-212-owners-manuel-info.html)

mapell 08-17-2011 11:34 PM

mariah shabah 212 owners manuel and info

do anybody can help me just purchase a 212 br mariah shabah with no owners manuel and not mutch info my insurrance comp. is asking me if it is a full fiber or composite wood and fiber can somebody help me ???:confused:thanks

mikeyt 08-18-2011 12:45 AM

Re: mariah shabah 212 owners manuel and info

An operators "manuel"'? Is that the Mexican language version you want?? ;)

The operating 'manuals' really are very basic & not boat specific so they probably wont provide much information for you. We do have individual manuals for equipment installed on the boats though along with engine/outdrive manuals and all of the marketing brochures for each of the model years. Those items are available to contributing members of our site. Click on the FAQ's above for more information if you would like to pursue this.

Your insurance company sounds like they really dont have a clue when it comes to marine insurance knowledge. Original Mariahs used "XL CCA" pressure treated wood (a step better than marine plywood) encapsulated stringers but the rest of the boat hull is fibreglass laminated over an end grain balsa core for additional strength. They are generally better equipped, heavier & more solidly built than most similar style boats.

mapell 08-18-2011 11:19 AM

thank s Mikey sry if my english is not perfect but i'm french canadien the reason of theres question on the hull is that sometime the fiberglass crack water go in and separate fiber from wood and somebody told me before i buy that boat it was 100% fiberglass if there is wood i need a survey to be able to have insurance every 10 years of the boat

mikeyt 08-18-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapell (Post 32066)
thank s Mikey sry if my english is not perfect but i'm french canadien the reason of theres question on the hull is that sometime the fiberglass crack water go in and separate fiber from wood and somebody told me before i buy that boat it was 100% fiberglass if there is wood i need a survey to be able to have insurance every 10 years of the boat

hi mapell: So you're a fellow Canuck! You are correct that it is possible for fibreglass to crack & have water enter the wood stringers which leads to rot & major repairs or scrapping the boat. However, that was generally a problem for boats built back in the '70's & early '80's. The improvements in fibreglass / gel coat technology, along with boat design, for the most part has eliminated the issue today. As for our boats, Mariah was an industry leader in the use of specialized wood & fibreglass encapsulating standards throughout the 1990's so it should not be a problem with the boat you are looking at.

As for the insurance issue, the need for a survey kind of depends on the boat you are buying. If you are completely uncomfortable with the process of examining a boat then a survey might be worth the expense for peace of mind. But, for the most part a thorough examination of the hull for cracks & gouges, a cursory examination of the stringers underneath the engine, stepping on all areas of the floor looking for soft spots, a quick check on the boat's electrical system, looking at the general maintenance condition of the boat and a water test is usually enough to ensure you are making a good purchase. Canadian insurance companies in general do not require a survey on boats of this size any longer.