The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Shopping for a 2000 Z308 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/5983-shopping-2000-z308.html)

870surf 08-04-2011 03:58 AM

Shopping for a 2000 Z308

Hi Guys!

I am in the market for a midsize cruiser that I can still trailer short distances and The Z308 seems to fit the bill for what I have in mind. I have a few questions, but first I'd like to tell you a little about myself.

I live on Maui and like to do over night trips to my neighbor islands, Lanai and Molokai, where we spearfish and surf away from the crowds. I'm looking for a vessel that I can basically camp on as we often go for 3 to 5 days at a time.

This next vessel will be my 3rd boat - I've been slowly growing into this next purchase over the last 15 years and am very excited. My first boat was a 17 foot twin engine Yamaha jet boat. My second was a customized 21 foot YL600 Zodiac Rib which I still have and love. The Zodiac shallow V HUll is definitely not built for what I am doing with her - but she's been a good sport and I thank her for it. Now I Feel it's the right time to step it up into a bigger vessel with better range, ride and comforts. I am considering finding a well cared for Z308 and shipping it out here from San Diego. I may have found one, but wanted to check in with some Mariah owners on my idea, as there are no Mariah Boat owners on this island who I can talk to ( at least not yet ).

Can anyone tell me as to the sea worthiness of the Z308 hull??? Is it suitable for Hawaiian waters? Can anyone tell me how the ride compares to say that of a Sea Ray Sundancer 290 or Regal Commodore 2760 ( this is another boat I am considering )? I Am interested in experienced Mariah owners opinions as to weather or not the Z308 is the right purchase.

I always pick my days carefully when I cross the Molokai channel( which can get very rough ), But sometimes the weather does spring a surprise on me. When it does I'll want to know that I'm in the right Cruiser!

Any advise or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Aloha,

Brian

mikeyt 08-04-2011 03:50 PM

Re: Shopping for a 2000 Z308

hi Brian & welcome aboard! As much as i would like to have had experience with a Z300 - 308 series boat, i'm gonna have to leave answering this one to the members here who own one. They ARE very nice boats!

theeasynine 08-04-2011 04:41 PM

All I can say is it sounds like you have the life!

Can you get me an autograph of Dog the Bounty Hunter? :yes_grin:

ShabahZ280 08-05-2011 02:49 PM

Aloha Brian! Welcome to the board.

The only thing I'll say is to consider the beam. The Z308 is Mariah's flagship boat, but it's "trailerable cruiser" designation limits the width of the boat to 8'6" to stay fully legal with no restrictions on US roads. Compare to the SR 290, which is 9'8, or the later models (97-2004) which measure in at 10'2". The Regal 2760 has a beam of 9'10". A wider beam not only offers more space, but more stability when it comes to heavier seas. However the downside of a wide beam is a heavier boat which doesn't go very fast. The Z308 is one of the faster cruisers in that size range across the market, the 2001 brochure has speed claims of 48-53MPH with the twin 5.7's. Not sure how much I believe that, but hey.... :)

When it comes down to options and luxury, the Sea Ray and Regal don't come close to the Mariah. I guess it all comes down to what's more important for you, which is only a decision you can make!

Keep in mind with purchasing a boat, I recommend a marine survey for a professional's opinion, and you definitely don't want to purchase it without giving the boat a sea trial and full inspection in person. Living in HI might make this a little challenging, considering there's only about 5 Z308's for sale in the US right now, so travel and transport expenses could be a real pain! But, If you were to pick the Mariah, it would be a great boat, provided the survey comes back with no issues.

870surf 08-05-2011 06:06 PM

Yaa man.....Life is Good here!! I'm Always trying to make each year a little better than the one before it! A new Cruiser should assist nicely !

As far as the Big Bad Dog goes.....
I think you need a bench warrant to get his autograph?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by theeasynine (Post 31708)
All I can say is it sounds like you have the life!

Can you get me an autograph of Dog the Bounty Hunter? :yes_grin:

870surf 08-05-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 31730)
Aloha Brian! Welcome to the board.

The only thing I'll say is to consider the beam. The Z308 is Mariah's flagship boat, but it's "trailerable cruiser" designation limits the width of the boat to 8'6" to stay fully legal with no restrictions on US roads. Compare to the SR 290, which is 9'8, or the later models (97-2004) which measure in at 10'2". The Regal 2760 has a beam of 9'10". A wider beam not only offers more space, but more stability when it comes to heavier seas. However the downside of a wide beam is a heavier boat which doesn't go very fast. The Z308 is one of the faster cruisers in that size range across the market, the 2001 brochure has speed claims of 48-53MPH with the twin 5.7's. Not sure how much I believe that, but hey.... :)

When it comes down to options and luxury, the Sea Ray and Regal don't come close to the Mariah. I guess it all comes down to what's more important for you, which is only a decision you can make!

Keep in mind with purchasing a boat, I recommend a marine survey for a professional's opinion, and you definitely don't want to purchase it without giving the boat a sea trial and full inspection in person. Living in HI might make this a little challenging, considering there's only about 5 Z308's for sale in the US right now, so travel and transport expenses could be a real pain! But, If you were to pick the Mariah, it would be a great boat, provided the survey comes back with no issues.

Hey Thanks for taking the time to respond about the Z308. Yaa, that's about what I figured I'd hear. The narrow beam on a 30 footer may be an issue for Hawaiian waters. The 10 foot beam of the Regal 2760 is what attracted me in that direction. Then again.....look at what I've been riding in the past 15 years ( a Yamaha Jet boat and a ZodiacYL600 ) and I'm sure the Z308 will be dreamy compared to what I am used to!

I agree, The water test and survey is automatic. I've made the mistake of skipping those two imperative steps before....and never again!

Overall the Mariah Z308 sounds like she would be just fine here on Maui. But I need to consider the narrow beam for those "Upset" channel days. Wider would be better. Maybe I should keep shopping.

In any case, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again and have an awesome summer!

Brian