The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   1994 Barchetta 182 Electrical Problems (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/4204-1994-barchetta-182-electrical-problems.html)

markbabb57 06-05-2010 11:30 PM

1994 Barchetta 182 Electrical Problems

Hello,

I have owned my Mariah for 16 years with very few problems. This year after charging the battery, I have discovered some electrical issues. The horn, cyt lights, speedometer and anc lights do not work. The blower, bilge and nav lights work fine. I checked battery connections and fuses coming into the battery and everything appears to be fine. Since I have 4 items not working, I would suspect that the problem would be closer to the rear of the boat as opposed to the individual components upfront.

If anyone has any suggestions for determining the problem, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

markbabb57

SEMIJim 06-13-2010 01:21 PM

Re: 1994 Barchetta 182 Electrical Problems

Hi Mark,

When we first got our '94 182 Barchetta last season, the courtesy lights and the manual bilge pump did not work, if I recall correctly. In trouble-shooting it, I had removed each of the fuses and tested them. Lo and behold: The stuff mysteriously started working when the fuses were replaced. Coincidentally ;), I'd noticed that the fuse holders were mildly corroded. So, after having disconnected the battery, I removed all the fuses, wire-brushed all the fuse holders with a small soldering tool wire brush, then treated them all with DeOxIt and ProGold. Problems solved :).

Other than that: I fear you're going to have to find your wiring diagram, get yourself a multi-meter and get to work.

Btw: While I was at it, I mapped and inventoried the fuses:
Code:

Top row, left-to-right

Docking Lights (unused):  15A
        Nav and Anch Lights:      5A
        Blower:                  10A
        Bilge:                    5A
        Courtesy Lights:          5A
        Horn, Stereo, Acc. Plugs: 10A

Bottom Row, left-to-right

Unknown:                  10A

Main (in-line on battery):    35A

Tilt (in-line on tilt motor): 20A

3 x 5A, 3 x 10A, 1 x 15A, 1 x 20A, 1 x 35A

Jim

markbabb57 06-14-2010 11:56 AM

Jim,

Thank you for your response. I believe that I have the same problem that you had and your information was very good. Without doing anything special, everything except the horn started working again. I will inspect the fuse holders and clean.

Thanks again,

Mark

SEMIJim 06-14-2010 12:44 PM

Mark,

You're quite welcome. You can get the DeOxIt and ProGold at Radio Shack. (You can probably get it on-line cheaper.) It's kind of pricey, but it works. Use sparingly! ;)

Jim

95182mb 06-25-2013 04:18 AM

i have the same problem on the same boat, but where are these fuses that you speak off

SEMIJim 06-25-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95182mb (Post 45786)
i have the same problem on the same boat, but where are these fuses that you speak off

They're up under the dashboard, just starboard of the steering wheel mechanism.

Jim

nglauer 06-25-2013 02:01 PM

Jim,

That is a great suggestion. Whenever I start installing my new speakers and Clarion CD player I will get up under the dash and clean my fuse holders. I've never used the product you mentioned above, but I will look into it as well. Anything to keep me from messing with that fuse block in the future would be worth it's weight in gold. I find that mine is hard to access, unless you are a contortionist lol.

Nick

SEMIJim 06-25-2013 02:36 PM

Nick, if your boat is like ours, simply lay on the cockpit sole and slide up under the instrument panel. Even at 6'4" tall, with long arms, I've found that area to be downright pleasant to work in, compared to some under-dash work I've had to do in cars ;)

Jim

mikeyt 06-25-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 45803)
Nick, if your boat is like ours, simply lay on the cockpit sole and slide up under the instrument panel. Even at 6'4" tall, with long arms, I've found that area to be downright pleasant to work in, compared to some under-dash work I've had to do in cars ;)

Jim

Yep, it's generally not bad working on the wiring up under the dash. I usually just lay out an old life jacket to rest my upper shoulders & head on and make things a little more comfortable.