The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Another Newbie (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/416-another-newbie.html)

jaydubyabee 10-05-2007 02:34 PM

Another Newbie

Just getting myself on here and glad to have a place to get questions answered. Just purchased a 1991 Mariah Diablo. My first Mariah and my first boat! I do have one question: i found two brass plugs the first is obviously the large drain under the outdrive, but i also have a smaller one with a slot in the top. Anyone know where it might go?

rjobe 10-05-2007 02:44 PM

Do you have any coolers onboard, like in the transom? Sometimes they go there.

mikeyt 10-05-2007 05:48 PM

Welcome aboard JWB! Two brass plugs? hmm.......rjobe could be right cuz my Shabah cooler does have a threaded drain. I have a plastic plug for mine though. This will be a good question for 180Diablo to answer.....

180diablo 10-05-2007 08:59 PM

For starters ... what sterndrive is kickin' off the back of it? Merc or OMC?

When you mean you " found " them... did you find them just loose in the boat? If the plugs are used on the sterndrive and are loose ... is there oil in the sterndrive?

So .. if the big one is a drain plug in lower sterndrive, would the smaller one not be for the upper casing? However, it probably would have a dipstick attached onto it. Hmmm, possibly on the port side of upper housing.

I took a flip through some of the Merc sterndrive parts pics with my serial # and I think thats about all that I could come up with.

Rjobe, mikeyT - No coolers in the transom :)

mikeyt 10-05-2007 09:57 PM

I think JW meant the bilge drain when he said 'the large drain under the outdrive'. I dont think the outdrive drain plug or refill plug is made of brass....
It may be simply someone left it sittin' in there cuz they found it somewhere & didn't know what to do with it?

jaydubyabee 10-11-2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydubyabee (Post 1907)
Just getting myself on here and glad to have a place to get questions answered. Just purchased a 1991 Mariah Diablo. My first Mariah and my first boat! I do have one question: i found two brass plugs the first is obviously the large drain under the outdrive, but i also have a smaller one with a slot in the top. Anyone know where it might go?

Sorry, been out of town for a few days. I was refering to the bilge drain when i said the large drain under the outdrive. When i bought the boat the owner had the bilge drain plug in the jockey box and when i went to get it that is when i found the second plug. it is not a large plug, maybe 1/4 to 9/16 diameter so maybe it was just something extra kicking around, but it does look used. is there anywhere else within the bilge that would require a plug in it? Thanks for all the responses so far, i appreciate the help. Also, the boat has a trolling plate on it and was wondering what other people's experience has been with these, not just for trolling but in the up position is it helpful?

180diablo 10-11-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 1926)
I think JW meant the bilge drain when he said 'the large drain under the outdrive'. I dont think the outdrive drain plug or refill plug is made of brass....
It may be simply someone left it sittin' in there cuz they found it somewhere & didn't know what to do with it?

Hmm, well the way he worded was "under the outdrive", meaning he was referring to a specific part "under the lower of the outdrive". Otherwise he should have worded it as " the big drain on the transom" .. am i not right? :p

hehe sorry jay ;)

Hmm, honestly dont know where else the plug might be from :) Ask around at your marina ..?