The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   z 280 question (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/3614-z-280-question.html)

warner0308 01-06-2010 11:11 PM

z 280 question

hi my name is tom, i just purchased a 1999 z280 today. Its got a 7.4 fuel injected,300hrs ac/heat real clean boat. i had a baja before this my question is does any body know about how fast this boat will run? is it a good boat? is the ugly stainless radar arch stock? the only bad thing is the gauge cluster is faded and cracked. can you still get parts for these ? i didnt know they went out of buss. the boats really clean theres no trailer and it was 18,000.00 did i do ok or did i get hosed? thanks tom

ShabahZ280 01-06-2010 11:42 PM

Re: z 280 question

I'm assuming you bought the one from Sea Ray of Chicago? If so, welcome to the club! We're here to help!

Don't expect it to be a speed demon, that's a heavy boat, and with the 454, it'll probably push it around 35-40MPH on the top end.

The stainless radar arch IS stock from the factory.

The gauge cluster can be repaired, but not replaced. I did this on my boat, and you can read about in the How To section. It's a VERY complicated and expensive project, and if not done properly, can destroy the gauge cluster. If you can live with a small crack, and it's not getting any larger over time, then your best bet is to leave it alone. Unfortunately those parts were made in-house at the Mariah plant, and when they closed in 2001, all those molds and the parts stock they had were sold, and we have no idea where they made their way to. So, repairing it is your only option.

As far as everything else, we've compiled a Mariah Parts List which is available in the "Original Mariah Talk" section at the top. If you have a specific part you might have questions on, just post it. We'll help you as much as we can.

That is a good boat, I spoke personally with the previous owner, as well as the dealer. you got a hell of a deal on that boat, if i do say so myself. I was going to trade mine in for it, but got suckered into a kitchen remodeling project instead. you know how women can be. :)

So anyway, hope this helps you, and if you have questions, don't be afraid to ask. We'll help get you up to speed, and you'll feel right at home here. :wink_thumbup:

warner0308 01-07-2010 12:41 AM

i was a little upset when i saw it up here for 17,700 but i got a warranty, storage,del.,and a water walk thru? i called sea ray after i saw it here and the finance manager said for 17,700.00 there would be no warranty,no del. and 1 weak storage,and 20.00 a day there after. and then i got him to throw in a tube for the kids ha ha. thanks you made me feel better i wasnt shure if this was a good deal. i was looking for a faster boat but the sales man assured me this was a 40 mph boat if not better.looks like im going to have to put a procharger on this boat. once again thanks

IowaWing 01-07-2010 01:05 AM

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info here. Look thru the topics for previously discussed problems and their solutions.
Is summer ever going to get here? Snow and cold here in Iowa.

Dredd 01-07-2010 12:37 PM

Yes, you got a good buy. I think a handful of us here are jealous. Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the club.

2 OWNER MARIAH 02-11-2010 01:29 AM

well done, i own a 99 z280 also, these boats are very well built, i was surprised how well it handled. being a heavy boat you will love it in rougher water.

warner0308 02-11-2010 02:46 AM

how fast will yours go? will i see 40 or is that a pipe dream?

2 OWNER MARIAH 02-11-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warner0308 (Post 20343)
how fast will yours go? will i see 40 or is that a pipe dream?

I am thinking i had mine as fast as 43 - 45 mph. once you get it up on plane there is very little of the bottom hull that is in the water. you need to fine tune it with the trim tabs & tilt to get optimum speed and handling. enjoy your ride:wink_thumbup:

LJ's Sunset Dream 02-12-2010 04:19 PM

Congratulations on your purchase

If you want to get rid of that "ugly S/S radar arch" I would be happy to take it off your hands.
I have the 502 MPI in my Z280, and have hit 52-53 on the GPS (when she's all trimmed up)
Regards
Larry