The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Gonna get a '94 Barchetta 182 (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/2768-gonna-get-94-barchetta-182-a.html)

BobMachus 06-17-2009 03:09 AM

Gonna get a '94 Barchetta 182

hi Guys,

I have owned sailboats and sailed a lot in my life, but am about to buy a 1994 Barchetta 182. I looked at a similar 192, but couldn't quite swing the deal and now a few months later I got what I feel is a pretty good deal on this one. This one does not have the captains chairs and full rear bench seat like I would prefer, but that is pretty minor to me. I do have a few questions....

1) What is hp rating of the 4.3l that year?

2) any particular bugs to look for or be aware of when I take it for a test drive in a day or two?

Thanks,

Bob

WetWilly 06-17-2009 08:03 AM

Re: Gonna get a '94 Barchetta 182

Hi Bob,

I believe it was 190HP for the Two Barrel , 205HP for the Four Barrel and Fuel Injection was 210HP (don't know if EFI was available on the 4.3L back then). :confused:

For the test drive, pay attention to the smoothness of the steering, the shifter/throttle unit and motor. Look for any unusual vibrations from the motor or outdrive, especially when turning. Check the floor for any sponginess and all gauges and systems like the horn, bilge blower, bilge pump, Nav lights, etc...

Unless you have documented records of the maintenance on the outdrive and motor and they're current, I suggest you have them check by a professional mechanic.

Hope everything check out OK :wink_thumbup:

WetWilly

SEMIJim 06-24-2009 08:49 PM

Hey Bob,

Coincidentally, my wife and I are also sailors, and we're buying a 1994 182 Barchetta with a 4.3L Merc V6, too! :) (But ours does have the captain's chairs and rear bench.) Did you get the one you were looking at?

Jim

djmccormick 06-25-2009 04:14 PM

Mine is a 94 Barchetta 182 and mine DOES NOT have the Captain's Chair, which I wish it did.

They must have made two difgferent models for that year.

I love my Mariah, thought about upgrading, but don't want to loose my baby. Its been a GREAT boat, on my third summer with it.

SEMIJim 06-25-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmccormick (Post 15735)
Mine is a 94 Barchetta 182 and mine DOES NOT have the Captain's Chair, which I wish it did.

I wonder if perhaps what I'm calling a "captain's chair" really isn't?

While shopping, for the past month, month-and-a-half, I've seen two kinds of forward-facing pilot & co-pilot seating in boats of the Barchetta's size and style: More-or-less "rectangular" seats, much like a one-person bench seat, I guess you could say, and seats that more resemble bucket seats. Our boat-to-be has the latter. So maybe we just have bucket seats for pilot and co-pilot, and not captain's chairs?

Quote:

I love my Mariah, thought about upgrading, but don't want to loose my baby. Its been a GREAT boat, on my third summer with it.

We're really looking to getting ours-to-be in the water tomorrow :).

Coincidentally, tomorrow is Jobbie Nooner out on the lake. (Sorry about the overly-serious link, but all the fun ones are pretty much NSW ;).) Oddly enough, The Admiral doesn't seem too interested in the new boat's first trip being to that event :p.

Jim

Z 202 06-25-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Actually, there are three seating layout options: Dual back to back front seats, drivers bucket seat and rectangular back to back passenger seat, or the "super sport" seating which has drivers and passenger bucket seats, and a rear bench.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 15737)
Coincidentally, tomorrow is Jobbie Nooner out on the lake. (Sorry about the overly-serious link, but all the fun ones are pretty much NSW ;).) Oddly enough, The Admiral doesn't seem too interested in the new boat's first trip being to that event :p.

Jim

Wow, that looks like an event I would enjoy! I won't be able to make that one, maybe Jobbie Nooner II, I'll have to convince the admiral that it would be a great way to spend my birthday! ;)

SEMIJim 06-25-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 15741)
Actually, there are three seating layout options: Dual back to back front seats, drivers bucket seat and rectangular back to back passenger seat, or the "super sport" seating which has drivers and passenger bucket seats, and a rear bench.

Ah. Ok, looks like we'll have the "super sport" seating. (Which I like best, personally.)

Quote:

Wow, that looks like an event I would enjoy!

Ya think? :D

Quote:

I won't be able to make that one, maybe Jobbie Nooner II,

You missed II. And III, IV, V... they've been doing this since at least 2002, I believe :)

Quote:

I'll have to convince the admiral that it would be a great way to spend my birthday! ;)

Good luck with that. (Best not give her time to research it on the 'net before you get permission ;))

Jim

BobMachus 06-26-2009 12:50 PM

Well, sadly I don't have this boat yet as the night before the test drive the owner calls me to say that he lent the boat to a buddy for the intervening 4 days, and the buddy nuked the stern drive. It evidently makes a nasty whining screeching sound. I suppose I should be glad it happened to him and not me, but it just doesn't seem right to lend out a boat you sold to your buddy to hammer for a few days....:shakehead:

I really prefer the supersport seating, but haven't seen one yet.

Bob

SEMIJim 06-26-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMachus (Post 15801)
Well, sadly I don't have this boat yet as the night before the test drive the owner calls me to say that he lent the boat to a buddy for the intervening 4 days, and the buddy nuked the stern drive.

Don't feel bad, Bob, our purchase is on-hold, too. See No New Little Power-Boat For Us Tomorrow! for the story.

We're still going ahead with the purchase. What about you? Is your seller going to get the outdrive straightened-out and complete the deal you had with him? Or is your deal dead?

Jim

djmccormick 06-27-2009 03:38 AM

I will sell you mine
I saw another 94 that I would rather have :)