The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Proud to own a Mariah (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/2400-proud-own-mariah.html)

Billyclub 04-29-2009 09:13 PM

Proud to own a Mariah

Hello All,
I'm anxious for the weekend. I'm purchasing a 1999 Shabah 182 with trailer. The boat is in pristine condition with only 67 hours on it. The only thing not working is the Tach. I've had my eye on this boat for 1 1/2 years. The owner was asking $10,000 but they just lowered it to $6,500. Patience is a virtue! I'm sure this site will be very useful to me.
Steve

mikeyt 04-29-2009 09:27 PM

Re: Proud to own a Mariah

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyclub (Post 13802)
Hello All,
I'm anxious for the weekend. I'm purchasing a 1999 Shabah 182 with trailer. The boat is in pristine condition with only 67 hours on it. The only thing not working is the Tach. I've had my eye on this boat for 1 1/2 years. The owner was asking $10,000 but they just lowered it to $6,500. Patience is a virtue! I'm sure this site will be very useful to me.
Steve

At $6500 you've done well. Welcome to the club! :wink_thumbup:

Tach's can be a little finicky. Check to make sure the connections are clean / well seated and also, there is a small dial on the back marked 4 - 6 - 8 cyl. Give it a spin and set it at 4 or 6 depending on whether you have a 3.0L or 4.3L. Sometimes the tach magically begins to work when this is done.

Billyclub 04-29-2009 11:41 PM

Thanks for your hospitality and the advice regarding the tach. I'll give it a try on tha tach and let you know.

ShabahZ280 04-30-2009 07:26 PM

Welcome to the board billyclub! Hopefully you'll find it very helpful, and if you've got any questions or problems, just ask. We're all here to help! :wink_thumbup:

Billyclub 05-03-2009 11:16 PM

The boat ran fine with a couple of glitches. The Tach still doesn't work even after I checked the connections and turned the dial on the back side as suggested by Mikeyt. Apparently the original Tach didn't work and it was replaced with a Firara (spelling?) The replacement was a used ond that only worked for awhile and quit. I guess I'll be shopping for a new Tach. The owner still had the original tach as well as the all the boat manuals, sales brochure etc. Sweet deal.
The other glitch was after giving her a good run I found oil all over the motor and down into the bilge. I discovered that the oil was blowing out past the (PCV valve ?) on the oil valve cover. It was pushed down in to far. Thankfully it was an adjustment and clean up instead of what I first thought was going to be an expensive repair.

mikeyt 05-04-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyclub (Post 13915)
The boat ran fine with a couple of glitches. The Tach still doesn't work even after I checked the connections and turned the dial on the back side as suggested by Mikeyt. Apparently the original Tach didn't work and it was replaced with a Firara (spelling?) The replacement was a used ond that only worked for awhile and quit. I guess I'll be shopping for a new Tach. The owner still had the original tach as well as the all the boat manuals, sales brochure etc. Sweet deal.
The other glitch was after giving her a good run I found oil all over the motor and down into the bilge. I discovered that the oil was blowing out past the (PCV valve ?) on the oil valve cover. It was pushed down in to far. Thankfully it was an adjustment and clean up instead of what I first thought was going to be an expensive repair.

hmmm.....no 'magic' this time. :shakehead:

Seems unusual that you would have two faulty tachs from Faria so it sounds like a connection issue at the engine. Hopefully someone else here has come across this problem.