The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Should I Buy 1999 202 Shabah??? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/1490-should-i-buy-1999-202-shabah.html)

george strapko 07-19-2008 12:47 PM

Should I Buy 1999 202 Shabah???

Always loved the Mariahs and have a oppty to purchase a 1999 202 Shabah 5.0, gelcoat weathered severely (i can handle) but I recall that the fiberglass stringers were issues...anyone have some advice? New Guy

Z 202 07-19-2008 01:39 PM

I'm not aware of any issues with the stringers. These boats are very well made.

However, if the previous owners' care of the boat may be an issue, I would suggest a marine survey if you are a bit wary on the hull. I would also get a certified merc service person to check out the power package.

Many of us have used Meguiars 3 step gelcoat refinishing kit to bring back the luster of the hull.

As you may have read elsewhere in the forums, some specific trim and hull parts of these boats are difficult to impossible to source anymore, as the orginal Mariah is out of business. However we do have a pretty thorough list of suppliers for a number of parts on the boat.

Good luck with whatever you do, and fire away with anymore questions you might have. There are plenty of active users here to help out.

ShabahZ280 07-19-2008 01:41 PM

I've never heard anything about the stringers being issues. Jimmy Fulks (creator of Mariah Boats Inc) patented his stringer & hull assembly processes, and the patents was "stolen" by many other boat manufacturing companies, including some of the biggest names in the industry. There were some serious infringement legal battles that went on that eventually Jimmy won the cases and they settled. I'd say the stringers should be the least of your worries!

Take the boat out for a spin if you can, make sure it runs good, and things like the windshield, dash, seats, and interior are in good shape. They were made in the Mariah factory, and are very tough, if not impossible to find replacements. If there's a few tears in the vinyl, or the covers aren't in great shape, they can always be remade or repaired by your local canvas and upholstery shop. The motor can be fixed by any Mercruiser or Volvo Penta service facility.

Gelcoat, I also recommend the Meguiars Fiberglass Restoration Kit. It's amazing!

I sy if the price is right, and it's what you want, go for it! You won't regret choosing Mariah. :)

bpfirrman 07-20-2008 04:29 PM

When I go to look at boats I take the fiberglass restoration kit with me. Anyone selling their boat that is faded should have no problem letting you test an area to see if the gelcoat is fixable. I have checked out a few boats that were badly faded and oxidized to the point where they were beyond simple elbow grease. If someone has not bothered to do the simplest things such as cover their boat, chances are they have probably slacked on other things.

180diablo 07-21-2008 09:00 PM

Well that is some sound advice that has been given. :wink_thumbup:

I would second the marine inspection and follow it with a certified marine mechanic to take a look at the engine.

What kind of price is the boat set at? Trailer? Condition of tarps? Would it be possible to snap off a bunch of photos and relay them back here for the other members to take a look at? If gelcoat is weathered, how is the upholstery? Electronics, dash etc?

I know first hand there is a LOT of sharp eyed members on here that might catch/see something that the otherwise untrained Mariah buff might not notice on first glance.

Good luck with it, keep us posted. We are here to help one another out.