The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   New here…. First question! (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/13831-new-here-first-question.html)

SunSand-Z302 07-02-2021 12:14 PM

New here…. First question!

Hello everyone. I’m new to the forum. I have a 2000 z302 with a 502 and bravo 3.
I just brought my boat back from Arizona to the Lake of the Ozarks. Yesterday I filled it with gas, got on the water and noticed right after getting up to cruising speed and on plane that whenever I hit a decent wave the engine wanted to stall. As soon the boat flattened back out (after waves) engine was fine. This is happening every time I hit a wave big enough to make the boat “rise”. Alarm is also sounding after a few of these engine “cut outs”. Cruising Engine temp is 170-175 oil pressure 60 psi. Oil level good, drive oil is also at correct level. Any known issues from other owners with 502 engines?

Thanks for any feedback!!!

Motoxxx43 07-02-2021 02:37 PM

Re: New here…. First question!

Welcome to MOC!
First thing that comes to mind is a loose wire to fuel pump or battery cable. Maybe check voltage while running into this scenario. Additionally I'd check fuel rail pressure, see where you're at normal and see if that's the culprit. If you have the fuel cooler system the pressure should be around 43psi. No fuel cooler 36 psi.

Cheap insurance swap out the fuel filter with new one. Preferably water separating filter. NAPA or whatever auto store can supply them if a boat shop is out of question. (Plus they are around half the price of boat shops)

Thats where I would start.

doaclnr 07-04-2021 05:17 PM

Did you put land gas in it? Add Sea Foam. I put that in every time I put fuel in. Also I run 89 octane or higher.. Usually HToads or Franky and Louies. I live close by those. LOL Hope you figure out the problem.

SunSand-Z302 07-07-2021 10:45 AM

Update...

First of all... thanks for your input! So... I drove the boat that first day and continued to have that same exact problem. Repeatable every time. The engine ran totally fine at idle, or even at top speed, but only as long as I was on smooth water and not causing the boat to either "bounce" or "rise" in the water. If that happened, the engine would cut out EVERY TIME. and it would just cut out for that instant. As soon as i was back on plane or cruising smooth, the engine ran normal.

I DID put land gas in. An entire tank actually. BUT... the next day we took the boat out... No problem at all... I could not get the boat to stall once. Third day out... same thing. boat ran completely normal. no stalling, and we were hitting all the waves at decent speeds.

It could still very well be a loose wire... but i have one more question...

This boat just arrived from Phoenix, AZ. Any chance it could have just been adjusting itself to the humid climate here? sounds silly, as it's fuel injected. ?? just a thought. thanks again guys!!!

Motoxxx43 07-07-2021 12:04 PM

Thats good news! Hopefully it worked itself out. As for it adjusting to new environment, I'm sure to a degree that could have effected it. After a run cycle or two I would not think that would have much of anything to do with it. The fuel injection of that era is relatively simple compared to the "ultra low emissions " of today's motors.

I'd still throw in a new fuel filter just to cover that base and not worry about it. The ethanol fuel can absorb around a table spoon of moisture per gallon just from humid air.

SunSand-Z302 07-07-2021 12:10 PM

Thanks! I'll change out the fuel filter the next time we get her out! I do believe it has the cool fuel system as well.

On another note... Any idea where I can get one of those PowerLight telescoping stern lights? I have one that is in need of some work, and just wondering where to find a new one just in case I don't get it fixed. Thanks again!

mikeyt 07-07-2021 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunSand-Z302 (Post 68954)
On another note... Any idea where I can get one of those PowerLight telescoping stern lights? I have one that is in need of some work, and just wondering where to find a new one just in case I don't get it fixed. Thanks again!

The company (Innovative Lighting) that made the originals no longer makes them. Anything else (such as an automobile powered antenna) would have to be adapted to fit. There was someone on the Facebook site though that was able to repair his antenna so you might want to ask there.

doaclnr 07-07-2021 05:23 PM

Those are Unicorns... LOL

exbajaguy 08-16-2021 03:22 AM

On the light thing, Where can I get the lenses for that light?
Thanks Dan