The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Hello all, new member here 97 Talari (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/1270-hello-all-new-member-here-97-talari.html)

toysforlife 06-10-2008 02:51 AM

Hello all, new member here 97 Talari

Hello everyone. I love all the info and look foward to hearing all about these boats. I am a new owner of a used one owner 1997 talari. Great looking boat 5.7 mercruiser. I just thought this boat would get out of the hole alot better then it does. I guess some tweekin is in order. Any help would be great. Have a good one guys!

bdbyrnes 06-10-2008 02:56 AM

Welcome!

Welcome to the board. As to the holeshot, recommend you review your current prop pitch...

toysforlife 06-10-2008 03:13 AM

I had a stock aluminum prop 19 pitch and changed to a stainless 19 pitch. Still the stern digs way in and i have to give full throttle to get out of the hole. When I pulled the tube with my son on it I really had a problem. I am getting proper rpm's at wot so I guess the pitch is correct but I could be wrong. Thanks for the reply and any other help is allways welcomed. Clyde

bdbyrnes 06-10-2008 03:31 AM

Hmm, what is your outdrive trim set at?

Do you have trim tabs by chance?

(sorry if these are stupid questions) You may also want to look in the Merc outdrive section as a few folks have been discussing props on there.

toysforlife 06-10-2008 03:52 AM

outdrive trim set too? No trim tabs. Outdrive all the way in when taking off. Unless your talking about something else.

bpfirrman 06-10-2008 03:05 PM

If you are running a 19p prop you really should not go any lower, you will probably exceed your recommended rpm. I would probably get a set of smart tabs installed, they are reasonable cheap and it is something you can do yourself. There is a whole thread on them if you search the forums. They will definitely get you on plane quicker.

mikeyt 06-10-2008 03:28 PM

hmmmm.....bpfirrman has it right. If you are staying within your recommended rpm range at WOT with your present prop, then i wouldn't recommend dropping your prop pitch for a little extra hole shot, particularly if you are near the upper end of that range. A 4 blade SS prop gives a little more 'bite' out of the hole and a little more mid range kick w/out sacrificing much top end (1-2mph) so that might be an option for you. I would also consider installing a set of Smart Tabs which will lift your stern much quicker and help your boat stay on plane at lower speeds.

Z 202 06-10-2008 04:42 PM

What size of Talari do you have?

I've run both aluminum and stainless 14x21p props on my 5.7L equipped Shabah, and both have given excellent hole shot performance.

toysforlife 06-10-2008 05:43 PM

211 talari 5.7 alpha drive set-up. Also the boat is doing 43mph on gps with 3/4 tank of fuel and myself and one other person on board. Does that sound about right? I thought this boat should move a little better then that with this set-up.

Z 202 06-10-2008 05:56 PM

With 4 persons and a full load of fuel (40 US gal) I can hit 50 mph on the GPS. 4600 to 4700 rpm @WOT. Difference is probably attributable to the different pitch 21 vs 19...

Talari is a cuddy is it not? In that case it also likely weighs a bit more than my bowrider.