The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Wannabe Mariah Owner (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/1197-wannabe-mariah-owner.html)

Lommerse33 05-29-2008 12:51 PM

Wannabe Mariah Owner

I recently sold off my Seadoos in hopes of buying a great boat that my young family could enjoy together. I've been reading up on the "legend" of Mariah boats and I'm very impressed. Obviously, I'd love some advice from long-time Mariah owners.

I'm currently looking at a 1993 Diablo and a 1995 Barchetta. I've found a local mechanic to give whichever I pursue a thorough inspection, but I'd like a basic understanding of the differences between the two. Both have a Merc 4.3, but any help/advice/info would be GREAT!

Thanks,
Jason

ShabahZ280 05-29-2008 01:55 PM

Welcome to the board Jason! You've made the right choice with Mariah. They are "Equipped like no other boat in the world". They're built STRONG, using stronger and thicker materials than any other boat manufacturer, in every aspect, from the fiberglass in the hull to the upholstery in the seats. While they were still open, they offered a lifetime hull warranty, which states their confidence in the strength of their product.

There are two specific designations, the standard, and the Z-option. Z-Series boats have all the options, slightly different layouts, and were considered top of the line. As I'll always say, keep your eyes open for a Z-Series, it'll be worth it. I believe, and don't hold me to this, that the Diablo was an entry level boat, however it still maintains the same Mariah quality. We have quite a few members with Diablos, and they absolutely love them. One member who particularly loves his is 180diablo. He has a 1993 model with the 3.0L motor, and has never really had any issues with it. Drop him a line, or I'm sure he'll chime in.

The 4.3L V6 is a stronger motor, I had one in my old Sea Ray 180, and it's perfect if you carry lots of passengers, like to tube, wakeboard, or do any other watersports. It's got significant torque & HP numbers, and is fairly economical. I think members with that size boat see the upper 50's with the 4.3L.

The 3.0L is more economical, and if you just want to cruise around, don't haul tons of passengers, and don't do any serious watersports. I believe he sees mid 40's, and can cruise all weekend long on less than a tank of gas. That's one thing we're all jealous of 180diablo is his fuel consumption!

Browse around boats.com, iboats.com, boattrader.com, and start looking for what's within your price range. Generally, I'd say to buy as new of a boat as you can afford. If you find any you're interested in, post the info here, and we'll offer you our opinions and help!

Keep us updated!

180diablo 05-30-2008 06:46 PM

Ah hoi hoi Jason! Welcome to the forums!:wink_thumbup:

As Chris mentioned, yes I have been known to rub it in on here about how much gas the 3.0 doesn't use on a given weekend. :D:D:D * rub rub rub *

Thirty to forty litres (8-13gal) worth, would bascially last me for a weekend of boating. I have been asked about the "range" of my boat, but I really haven't taken the time to calculate it. Something that I will end up doing once I get back on the water. It would interesting to see the consumption of a 15 yr old motor vs a brand new 3.0.

As an older entry level boat, the Diablo will still make heads turn and take a second look. Which gives me a feeling of pride on the waterways. This boat is way more than what I was originally looking at in a used boat purchase.

Back onto your boat options, if both are equipped with them 4.3L's, then you won't run into a "power" issue. Either boat would be capable enough of towing kids or a skiier etc. The 3.0 is more of a cruising and gas conscious motor. I have never attempted to tow anyone (yet) with my boat. So far I have only had my girlfriend and some friends on board with me.

Whichever looks to be the best cared for, strongest mechanically sound, that would be the one to go for. What about the price of the boats? I assume they are both about the same length. Do they come with trailer? Codntion? Extras? Condition of the tarps?

If you could provide some photos of the exterior, interior, engine, sterndrive, some of the sharp eyed members on here might be able to spot something that you (or I) might not see on first glace.

Chris (ShabahZ250) and Ryan (MariahMan) have provided the original Mariah Manuals available for download if you wish to see the differences between the two models. If you select the Donate button above, they will be available for you to look at.

Let us know what route you went and as always, post photos after!
:D

ShabahZ280 05-30-2008 07:07 PM

Also, it goes without saying, even an "Entry Level" Mariah Boat (up to 2001 model year) is 150% better than any other competitor's boat on the market. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. :wink_thumbup:

bpfirrman 05-31-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 7370)
Also, it goes without saying, even an "Entry Level" Mariah Boat (up to 2001 model year) is 150% better than any other competitor's boat on the market. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. :wink_thumbup:

I second that! There is a reason why old Mariah's are more expensive than say older Bayliners(ugh). I could have bought a 2004 Bayliner for the same price that I paid for my 1998 Mariah, one look in person at a Mariah and you will immediately tell the difference.