The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Hello from Texas (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/1150-hello-texas.html)

syc92868 05-21-2008 04:08 AM

Hello from Texas

Hi, I'm Beau from Corpus Christi, Texas. I'm in the process of purchasing my first mariah tomorrow. I had some questions that maybe you guys can help me out with. The seller lives in Florida, so I'm making a 1400 mile trip one way. It is a 1997 20' captain Z and is in awesome condition with 237 hours. The question I have is the seller has it on a single axle trailer, do you think that this is standard for this type of boat? The seller claims the boat has been on this trailer since 2002 and has made multiple trips to the flordia keys and delivered it home from NJ with no problems whatso ever. What would you recommend we do to ensure a safe trip home?

Thanks for your help,
Beau

WetWilly 05-21-2008 05:32 AM

Hi Beau,

Congratulations on becoming a Mariah owner and welcome to the club!

Yes, a single axle trailer is very doable with the proper rating on the coupler, axle and tires. Check the bunks to make sure they're providing proper support to the hull. You didn't state what 97 Mariah Z model you're buying but the 20 footers typically weigh in around 2900lbs empty with the small block V8.

Before taking off on the return trip, check the coupler (safety chains too), tires, lights and brakes (if equipped) are in good working order and most important, have the trailer's wheel bearings checked and serviced if needed! If you don't, this could be you... click here! I left from Northeast Dallas on I30 through Fort Worth onto I20, I didn't even make it to Abilene....

Anyway, if it's any consolation, I drove over 1800miles one way for our Mariah so good luck with your journey, just take it easy you'll be fine!

When you get back, clean her up and post some pictures on our gallery! Look in our tutorial section on how to do the pics and a few other things as well: click here

Have a good one,
WetWilly

indykoch 05-21-2008 01:30 PM

Congrats! Sounds like a great find.

If I remember correctly, Mariah supplied single axle trailers for the 202, and double axle trailers for the 212. So the 20 footer is the cut-off (from the factory at least). Just check the axle rating, you should be fine. As WetWilly stated, the 20 footers are just under 3000 lbs. With gas and any equipment, you may be around 3500 lbs. tops.

A couple of things to check - grab the top of the tire and try pushing back and forth. If it has any play, the bearings need serviced. If not, they should be okay, but you should make a number of stops to feel the temperature and make sure everything's good. Bearing failure is a nasty, dangerous thing so treat it accordingly.

You may also want a spare tire since it's single axle and that's a long drive. Don't forget a jack that can lift it for a tire change if necessary.

Z 202 05-21-2008 01:43 PM

My 1995 202 sits on a Eagle single axle trailer w/ surge brakes. No problems at all. Rides well and it's very maneuverable in tight spaces.

It should have big wheels (6 lugs), to support that kind of weight though.

ShabahZ280 05-21-2008 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the board! I'd definitely check the condition of the tires as well before the trip. Check for dry rot, small cracks, and any defects you could find. Make sure they're genuine "trailer" tires and not regular car tires as they won't last long with heavy loads.

And I don't have to stress the importance of a full size spare tire. Especially for a long journey like yours. I'd possibly even think of picking up 2.

I suggest assembling a "Trailering Tool Kit" before you go. My trailering tool kit has a 12ton hydraulic bottle jack, 3 blocks of wood (2 2x4's and a 2x6), a 4-way tire iron for the lugs, grease gun, spare tubes of grease, and a set of Mechanix work gloves. Always remember, it's better to be over-prepared.

I'd recommend an infrared thermometer to keep track of temps on tires and bearings so you don't have to touch them. Just check them when you stop, if the temps get really high, let it rest for a while. I picked this one up from Harbor Freight Tools for about $10.

syc92868 05-22-2008 04:28 AM

Thanks for all of the great tips and speedy responses. I will definitly go prepared...it's better to be safe then sorry. Once we settle in with our new addition, i'll download some pictures.

Thanks,
Beau

180diablo 05-22-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 6903)
I'd recommend an infrared thermometer to keep track of temps on tires and bearings so you don't have to touch them. Just check them when you stop, if the temps get really high, let it rest for a while. I picked this one up from Harbor Freight Tools for about $10.

Chris, looks like that is the better deal for the same temp guage.

Here is the Duratrax Temp guage on Tower Hobbies. Nothing like paying for a name on the unit.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMG5&P=ML

WetWilly 05-23-2008 02:34 AM

Geez guys, why all the high tech???

An old fella in Texas told me the easiest way to check the traller bearings is to take your hand and grab the hub...if you ain't running around the boat cussing then it ain't that hot and you're ok...... works everytime... :rolling_laugh::rolling_laugh::rolling_laugh: