The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Intro - 2000 Mariah 268 Merc 7.4L Bravo III (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/11199-intro-2000-mariah-268-merc-7-4l-bravo-iii.html)

radhat 10-31-2016 10:05 PM

Intro - 2000 Mariah 268 Merc 7.4L Bravo III

Well, I don't own it yet, but the deposit is down.
She failed Sea Trials. - Overheating while on plane issue, shimmy/vibration at mid range RPMs etc.
Besides those issues, she's hiding her age pretty well. :) Lining her up to see the mechanic to find out if it's a bigger issue than suspected bad impeller or clogged exhaust.

I've already learned a lot about the model and the Mariah brand. For that I thank all that have posted and answered.

This boat comes only with a bimini top. Linked Canvas site doesn't show link for 2000 268 for camper (winter) canvas. I've got an email into them, but am open to other ideas.

Great to be here, can't wait to post pics.

-R

ShabahZ280 11-03-2016 12:49 AM

Re: Intro - 2000 Mariah 268 Merc 7.4L Bravo III

Hopefully your mechanic will have some good news for you, rather than bad... The Z268's are nice boats!

As for canvas, you'll be much better off having a custom camper top made, than trying to find a retailer that carries them. A custom canvas will be a guaranteed perfect fit, and will last a lot longer than a universal or semi-custom fit setup that you'll find from any online retailers. Check around your local marinas for recommended canvas shops and start making phone calls... Everyone seems to know a place, or have a friend who knows a place. In fact, I got a referral from a friend to a canvas maker down in Amish country who redid my entire camper top for nearly 4x less than the other quotes I had received, and it turned out fantastic. So ask around! Someone knows somebody! :wink_thumbup:

radhat 11-03-2016 01:13 AM

Thanks. Been doing just that and the results have been not bad for a cockpit cover but expensive for winter canvas.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Suspect a bad impeller and /or some type of blockage in riser, riser elbow or oil cooler.
Keeping fingers crossed.
Have to wait for mechanical survey / check out to know for sure.

There a minor things wrong ( spot light motor etc.) but not a lot. Still has all the badging etc.
When fixing the minor stuff would you try to find OEM stuff or just go after market? For instance is it worth the time trouble and expense to find the original spotlight or just replace it with one that fits?

Thanks for the reply. :)

radhat 11-15-2016 09:35 PM

Just an update, I now OWN it!

Just a word of encouragement for anyone buying a boat.
Check ALL systems. If something is telling you to check something out, do it. Trust your gut. You'll be glad you did. Questions during inspections are good things, and inspections are there to protect the buyer. Don't get in a hurry.