The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/)
-   -   Newbie (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/introductions/10503-newbie.html)

RobM 09-15-2015 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello All, After a couple of months of browsing boat adds I have finally decided to take the plunge and by a boat, and what better boat to buy than a Mariah. These boats are just beautiful and look well put together. My issue is this. Im looking at buying a 1995 Shabah Z212 from an auction and the description doesn't tell me much. The only info I can get is that the guy left the plug in while on the trailer and the rain water level in the engine compartment rose to the point to when they went to start it up the starter got fried. Does that make sense? Also im trying to get some info on the motor and out drive. Looking through this forum I have yet to see a similar drive and motor. I have included some pics . The HIN is MAB07609H495 if that helps any. I am really set on getting this boat but i dint want my first Mariah buying experience turn out to be crap. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attachment 6334

Attachment 6335

ShabahZ280 09-15-2015 08:35 PM

Re: Newbie

Unfortunately I don't have the build sheet info on that specific boat. I have up to 7607 and from 7618 on...

The Volvo engines and drives are a good combo, they were an option rather than the standard Mercruiser sterndrive setups on Mariahs. However you may want to have a professional surveyor or mechanic look at it before signing on the deal, if the auction company will approve. The story the sellers are giving could be totally legit, but the bilge pump would have likely pumped the water out before it got that high, if the batteries were functioning and everything was normal... Just seems slightly fishy... A surveyor has the tools and knowledge to measure moisture content throughout the boat and tell you if it's a good buy or not... It'll cost you a few hundred $$ for the surveyor, but it'd be worth it in the long run.

A starter is a relatively easy fix, if that's the only issue, and you've got some basic mechanical skills. However if the previous owner didn't have the knowledge to remove the drain plug, I'd surely hope they had enough brains to winterize it properly, and you're not looking at a cracked block or worse issue... A good marine mechanic could give a quick look at it, and give you advice.

Or, the other option is you can just pass on this one, and save up for a trouble-free and less questionable Mariah for your first experience...

RobM 09-15-2015 10:57 PM

Thanks for the feed back. The boat will sell for$1800-no trailer, needs a complete buffing but the interior looks good. For that price is it worth the risk?

Andy b 09-24-2015 11:46 PM

Just another thought.
If the boat was left with enough water to sink the starter motor chances are the gimbal bearing will be full of water also.
That outdrive looks like an SP280 (possible 290?) that's been converted to duo prop.
Older VP unit bullet proof in their day, but like I say they are old tech now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The stig 09-27-2015 09:17 PM

Did you get the boat? I saw it in person up by lake joe. I was bidding also.