The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Evil Mariah Strikes Again. Broken Spark plug (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/9940-evil-mariah-strikes-again-broken-spark-plug.html)

99 Mariah 258 01-15-2015 09:57 PM

Evil Mariah Strikes Again. Broken Spark plug

Was in the middle of a tune up and on the 6th of 8 the plug just snapped off. The hex head and all the porcelain came out complete so all that's left in the head is the sleeve.At first I had a panic attack but after googling a little it seems to be fairly common.So I bought a easy off extractor and will see what happens tomorrow. Anybody have any pointers :confused::

Motoxxx43 01-16-2015 03:01 PM

Re: Evil Mariah Strikes Again. Broken Spark plug

Use anti-seize when you put the plugs back in. I have a 5.4 F150. They have their share of plug issues. Anti seize seems to work well.

99 Mariah 258 01-18-2015 07:50 PM

Hello everybody.......
So I was able to get the broken plug sleeve out of the head with a extractor. The first problem was the extractor itself . It has a square head on it that only fits a 12 pt 5/16 socket. But as soon as you put a little torque it strips the teeth of the socket. So I check the local auto parts store and only had a handle that would be impossible to turn in there.Home depot had the same thing but I went to Lowes and they had this Irwin adapter that accepted the extractor and had a slot for 3/8 extension to turn it ... Took it home and cooked the plug/cylinder head a little with a plumbers torch and it came out easily..... Thank god.... Then the next plug broke off the same way...Took that one out as well. Boom. Fresh tune up and I also changed the coil that was disgusting ..... Rusty with spalding . I wish someone hadn't broke into my truck and stole my Gps so I could have a accurate number but I took her out and she has so much more power... Definitely picks up faster and it feels faster WOT..... Maybe she's not evil , she's just been neglected ;)

P.S. I did use the anti seize ...Thanks moto

99 Mariah 258 01-18-2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motoxxx43 (Post 55762)
Use anti-seize when you put the plugs back in. I have a 5.4 F150. They have their share of plug issues. Anti seize seems to work well.

I've heard... I have a 02 F150 King Ranch 5.4 but it's a 2v. I've heard about the 3v 5.4 plug issues. Ford blew it with that motor.. Anyhow I'm at 62k miles and I have a buddy with a supercrew with 275k so my truck should last forever...:wink_thumbup:

Motoxxx43 01-18-2015 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 Mariah 258 (Post 55773)
I've heard... I have a 02 F150 King Ranch 5.4 but it's a 2v. I've heard about the 3v 5.4 plug issues. Ford blew it with that motor.. Anyhow I'm at 62k miles and I have a buddy with a supercrew with 275k so my truck should last forever...:wink_thumbup:

2 valve an 3 valve have their own issues. The 2 v spits the plugs with the thread out an the 3 v locks them in place! Not to mention cam phasers on the 3 valve...

Glad you got the plug all worked out!