The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Unexplained Beeping (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/9794-unexplained-beeping.html)

kriswd40 09-01-2014 03:50 AM

Unexplained Beeping

The past few times I've been out, usually while going slow, I have been getting warning beeps sounding on my Mariah Diablo. The oil pressure and engine temp look fine, I don't see any excessive water. My gas gauge is broken but it has never causes any alarms to sound before. This has happened in deep water and shallow water and with the depth finder off, so I don't think its that.

I'm not sure what else could cause the beeping, nothing seems affected, but its troubling and annoying. The first couple nights it happened, it was just as I was getting going and it stopped after I planed (it only happened for a second). Today it stayed on consistently at low speeds but sometimes went away when I was going faster.

Any ideas of what I should check? I really don't want to be out on the lake running like this is something is seriously wrong, but I wonder if one of the sensors is just busted (namely the one that causes alarms if there is too much water in the bottom of the hull).

Andy b 09-01-2014 05:26 PM

Re: Unexplained Beeping

Where's the beeping coming from?
It could be a low voltage alarm.
Are the belts tight?
Check the battery and the output of the alternator.

96MariahZ220 09-02-2014 01:05 AM

Check your gear oil for the outdrive... The only reason I say that is someone told me if that gets low then it will warn you.. Could be false information.. I would google where the container is located but I understand it's easy to get to (on mercruiser) again I could be wrong but it wouldn't hurt to check that.

kriswd40 09-02-2014 04:43 PM

I will check the belts and the gear lube oil when I get home tonight or tomorrow, thanks for the suggestions.

About the voltage, my voltage gauge looks fine but I don't know if that's battery or alternator??? If it's not alternator, do you know how I test that? The beeping comes from under the dash, same as it does for all the warning noises I've ever heard.

mikeyt 09-03-2014 12:38 AM

You could always check out this STICKY that outlines what causes the warning beeps...

LOTO Z240 Talari 09-03-2014 04:50 AM

Thanks Mikey,
Reminders about sticky's helps more members than just the one who is asking the question at the current moment. Lots of new members are still learning their way around all of the many GREAT informational tools already in place. I try to read a fact based sticky, watch a new video or read some old threads everyday. We have a wealth of information in our MOC reference library. I would highly recommend all members broaden their general knowledge of their boat. We are very fortunate to have access to a data base of experts in the club. This is not my personal opinion, it's a known fact among other makes of boat owner clubs. I hope this high level of professionalism continues for the sake of the finest boat built!

kriswd40 09-04-2014 01:22 PM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I checked and my gear lube oil does appear to be low. I need to contact the place that did my last service and see if they know what brand is currently in there.

Question on the gear lube oil... If I'm just adding to it (instead of changing it), can I add the new oil directly to the reservoir? Or do I need to pump it up through the bottom opening?

mikeyt 09-04-2014 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kriswd40 (Post 55154)
Thanks for the tips everyone. I checked and my gear lube oil does appear to be low. I need to contact the place that did my last service and see if they know what brand is currently in there.

Question on the gear lube oil... If I'm just adding to it (instead of changing it), can I add the new oil directly to the reservoir? Or do I need to pump it up through the bottom opening?

I just use Sierra Hi-Performance Gear Lubricant. You can add it directly to the reservoir and fill to the line level.