The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Light black streaks on hull (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/8011-light-black-streaks-hull.html)

csterner 04-28-2013 01:36 AM

Light black streaks on hull

Our boat lives on our trailer and is stored on the side of our house. We live in Florida so I usually pull the boat from the side of the house to right in front of our house in the driveway. Yes this totally pisses my wife off because we have to park in the grass but anyways...:)
My son and I have been working on winter projects and trying to get a really good coat of wax coat on the boat. Every time we clean the hull, the next day there are black steaks on the hull. My neighbor says it is black algae coming from the roof, but I have a gable roof on the garage so water is not sliding off the roof onto the boat. I thought it was coming front the rub rail, but the streaks are above it. My bow and stern cockpit covers are clean. In a panic, I removed the rubber seal under the windshield and noticed some slime there, but it would not flow from there to the front of the boat I think. Whatever it is, it is in the water dripping down the sides of the entire boat. And marine hull cleaner isn't removing it. I am ok with wet sanding it all out, but I want to figure out the source...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mikeyt 04-28-2013 01:20 PM

Re: Light black streaks on hull

Hmmm... do you use any sort of protective coating (ie Armorall etc) on your boat cover? I know mine will have black marks where the cover meets the hull after it sits for a while. Usually just a couple of wipes with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser gets rid of them.

Andy b 04-28-2013 01:39 PM

I know my factory cover (which must be 12 yrs old now) leaves black marks after heavy rain, but I put that down to age.
The problem stopped when I bought a cheap all over cover from eBay and put it over the whole thing.
I know these cheap covers only last a couple of seasons, but in the scheme of things if it protects my factory covers and keeps the boat clean it's worth it in my book :wink_thumbup:

csterner 04-28-2013 02:51 PM

Hhhhmmm, these are interesting. My covers are not the original factory ones and they are green in color. In the winter, I do typically throw a large tarp over the entire boat just to protect it. So maybe it is the covers after all. I did not want to wash them due to fear of shrinkage though. I will try the magic eraser trick and see what happens.

Thanks guys!

Dredd 04-29-2013 06:14 PM

My big cover does it too. The Works wipes even the worst ones right off but it is annoying.

csterner 04-29-2013 06:32 PM

I tried the magic eraser and it worked like a charm! Awesome. Now I am thinking I will have to hand scrub both my covers to see if I can get that streaking to stop. It rains a lot here in Florida in the summer and I don't want it streaking all the dang time!