The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   7.4 mercruiser drain plugs (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/7759-7-4-mercruiser-drain-plugs.html)

Motoxxx43 02-03-2013 04:31 AM

7.4 mercruiser drain plugs

I tried to open the Merc manual for the bravo 1 with 7.4 and can't get it to work on my phone. I was trying to figure out how many drain plugs and where they are located. I assume there are 2 starboard 2 port an 1 power steering. Am I missing any?

ShabahZ280 02-03-2013 01:32 PM

Re: 7.4 mercruiser drain plugs

Two on the block, port and starboard sides. There's also a drain on the "Cool Fuel" system, port side down around the bottom of the block towards the stern.

Motoxxx43 02-03-2013 06:07 PM

Thanks Shabah. I'll post pics of my new to me toy....

ShabahZ280 02-04-2013 06:57 PM

Guessing everything went thru for ya? :wink_thumbup:

Motoxxx43 02-04-2013 09:07 PM

It went pretty good! Everything went good with the bank and title work too, seeing as it was out of state. (Arizona notarizes their title work, small bump in the road). For the most part it went smooth. I have the boat parked at my place now. It was 18 degrees here last night. I drained the motor while on the way back in New Mexico. I had a bottle of water in the back seat I was watching but it never froze so I guess draining it on the way home was overkill. Still, a lot easier than fixing a cracked manifold.
I think the most difficult part was the drive home. My truck looks tiny towing it. I managed about 65-70mph and 8-9 MPG... Took 11 hrs to get there and 16 home. I severely underestimated the size/weight of the boat. But on a side note, my truck is pretty snappy down at 1000' elevation compared to 5000' where I live.

ShabahZ280 02-05-2013 12:17 PM

Pulling the drain plugs is good, but if you're consistently seeing temps below freezing (for more than 2-3 days), I would winterize the block properly, by running about 5 gallons of -50 antifreeze through earmuffs on the outdrive. The "winterizing kit" runs about $50 from West Marine and you'll need about $20 worth of antifreeze. $70 is worth it to protect the most important part of your "new" boat. Or, any marine service center can do it for you for a couple hundred dollars.

Just my .02 :) I know how much you went through to get this boat, and it'd be an awful nightmare if you found a crack in the block in the springtime!!

ColoradoDiablo 02-05-2013 01:33 PM

I know what your saying Moto. I went to Lake Havasu with my pickup and I swear I picked up 50 ponies! LOL
Congrats , but get her winterized ASAP!! , Seen way to many a boat around here die due to frozen engine/drive.
Sure has been warm around here though.:confused:

Motoxxx43 02-05-2013 11:07 PM

Thanks Shabah, I did run antifreeze through the SC21 back before it got cold. I Took the 250 out to lake today. I just pulled plugs on it. Not quite sure Ill run antifreeze through it. It has been very warm this winter like Colorado said. And like you say 50 ponies, I have not modified that truck to notice any gain BUT if there was something I could bolt on it to make it that snappy up at this altitude Id sure have fun with that. I had a really nice Honda 954 for 6 years. I never made it down to sea level with it to see what it was all about. Fast enough as it was!