The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Winterization Question (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/7492-winterization-question.html)

ConVICK_Pitbull 10-04-2012 04:45 PM

Winterization Question

I know there have been a few post about this but I have a couple of specific questions.

1) Since I live in a relatively warm climate, Georgia, do I need to fog the cylinders. I know you have to if a boat is going to be shut down for 6 months + and lives in an extremly cold enviroment. Here in GA the weather will allow boating till mid October (at least) and I get back out mid April (ish).

2) If I don't need to fog the boat, do I really need to run anti-freeze thru it. I mean it "might" get cold enough here to freeze the ground a few times throughout the winter, but nothing like when I lived in Ohio near the Great Lakes. If I flush and drain at the plugs and hoses it would be fine. I will change the oil, filter and put non-ethanol fuel with sta-bil in it but other than that I was thi nking I should be good.

3) I have a battery tender on the boat. Should I take the battery out and store after I trickle charge it or just leave it on the Tender?

Again, this is very important for me seeing as this is my baby now. I have owned other boats, but none this new and I want to protect it. I have winterized my Sea-Doo's and ol' Chaparral a few times before like this, but again, I WANT TO MAKE SURE she's ready first thing. Thanks in advance with the advice. :confused:

Oregondunes 10-04-2012 05:12 PM

Re: Winterization Question

Here's what I do.

I bought a cheap 5 gal fuel jug at Home Depot. Clamped on a piece of 8' clear hose from Home Depot with a hose end on the other end that I attach to my ear muffs.

I set the fuel jub up on the swim step

I run the motor on the hose til the thermostat opens, then quickly change over to the anitfreeze til it all drains from the fuel jug but I can still see it in the hose.

I remove the air filter before this all and just as Im getting to the end of my anit-freeze I spray in the fogging spray into the intake as the wife quickly "flogs" the throttle one time.

Shut it down and Im good to go.

Our 302 has a built in charger, so I just pay for power while it's stored indoors all winter.

mikeyt 10-04-2012 06:12 PM

I guess that the bottom line is "Do you want to take that chance and can you afford to do so?" I would winterize it just as Oregonedunes suggested given it takes about an hour of your time and $25. out of your wallet.

Oregondunes 10-04-2012 07:36 PM

yep. granted mine lives indoors in a semi heated storage facility. they keep the it heated enough NOT to freeze the pipes.

each spring I fire it up on the old plugs on the hose. let it warm up, blowing out all the Sierra anti freeze, then replace the plugs and were ready to go.

OH.....BTW......I also add stabil to the fuel tank as well.