The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Edelbrock Carb Install (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/6183-edelbrock-carb-install.html)

Mariah350 09-26-2011 01:37 AM

Edelbrock Carb Install

1 Attachment(s)
Finally replaced my original 15 year old Weber carb.

Installed a new Edelbrock 600 CFM Marine 1409 carb. Experienced all around better performance although top speed was equal to the old Weber. Just to note that the Weber is the identical physical design to the Edelbrock which was a original Carter design.

Ran well right out of the box except for a little adjustment of the idle mixture screws.

All the linkage, fuel line, choke, brackets and fuel pump overflow tube were simple bolt ups.

My old Weber needed a rebuild so just decided to replace due to some rough running and primary to secondary transition issues.

Was going to install a 600 Holley but just wanted to make it easy without having to mess with throttle bracket mods.

Thanks

drhate 09-27-2011 06:46 AM

Re: Edelbrock Carb Install

Nice, I almost swaped out my weber/carter carb for the edelbrock but was hesitant if I would notice any gains. What intake is that? Is it a edelbrock RPM? That was intake I was looking to mate to the edelbrock carb, but with the restricted heads on my stock 350, didnt think it would benefit from the increase in air/fuel flow. Looks nice in that engine carpartment though.

Mariah350 09-27-2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drhate (Post 32778)
Nice, I almost swaped out my weber/carter carb for the edelbrock but was hesitant if I would notice any gains. What intake is that? Is it a edelbrock RPM? That was intake I was looking to mate to the edelbrock carb, but with the restricted heads on my stock 350, didnt think it would benefit from the increase in air/fuel flow. Looks nice in that engine carpartment though.

Edelbrock only makes two marine versions the 1409 600cfm and the 1410 750cfm. The stock Weber you have should be a 600cfm.

My intake is the Edelbrock RPM Air Gap.

I replaced mine rather than rebuild it and like i mentioned all connections were the same.

Thanks

Dredd 09-27-2011 02:35 PM

Good looking engine compartment. Good post.

spinks99 10-06-2011 11:14 PM

I am rebuilding my Quadrajet. The Marina wanted $500 plus. I have it torn apart and cleaned. Just waiting for the carb kit. I'm looking at under $100. I hope it runs o.k. or I will have to have someone do it next spring anyway. Just trying to save a few bucks.

Next boat is fuel injection for sure. Nice installation in the pictures.

Danny

Mariah350 10-08-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinks99 (Post 32860)
I am rebuilding my Quadrajet. The Marina wanted $500 plus. I have it torn apart and cleaned. Just waiting for the carb kit. I'm looking at under $100. I hope it runs o.k. or I will have to have someone do it next spring anyway. Just trying to save a few bucks.

Next boat is fuel injection for sure. Nice installation in the pictures.

Danny

The Quadrajet is a great reliable carb and worth rebuilding. What did the Marina want to charge $500 for?

Good luck with the rebuild!

spinks99 10-09-2011 12:07 PM

Hey Mariah 350,

The marina wanted 4 x $91 labor = $364 plus parts. Maybe it would have come in under $500, but still expensive none the less.

I think your boat kicks butt. Is that engine stroked? 64 mph, how many horsepower are you putting out and what kind of exhaust manifolds do you have on there? Give me the list unless it's a secret.

I have a stock 5.0 LX (95 Z202). I can get 45 mph (GPS) with the family, gear, gas. I'm running a high-five 21p prop for tubing and skiing. I wonder what I could run with a 3 blade. I bought the boat with a 4 blade so I've never had a 3 blade on it.

I'd love to put thru-hull exhaust on it. I had a mechanic quote $2000 (1500 parts 500 labor). I don't think the kids would appreciate having to take sports off for a year though.

Danny

Mariah350 10-09-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinks99 (Post 32873)
Hey Mariah 350,

The marina wanted 4 x $91 labor = $364 plus parts. Maybe it would have come in under $500, but still expensive none the less.

I think your boat kicks butt. Is that engine stroked? 64 mph, how many horsepower are you putting out and what kind of exhaust manifolds do you have on there? Give me the list unless it's a secret.

I have a stock 5.0 LX (95 Z202). I can get 45 mph (GPS) with the family, gear, gas. I'm running a high-five 21p prop for tubing and skiing. I wonder what I could run with a 3 blade. I bought the boat with a 4 blade so I've never had a 3 blade on it.

I'd love to put thru-hull exhaust on it. I had a mechanic quote $2000 (1500 parts 500 labor). I don't think the kids would appreciate having to take sports off for a year though.

Danny

Danny here are the specs. Did not go with the stroker but sometimes think I should have but then again maybe not?

HP is approx 350 at the flywheel. The cam tops out at 5200rpm for peak HP.

Scat Rods 5.7 Pressed Pin forged
TRW L2256F + .030 Pistons Forged
Melling's M55Hv Oil Pump
Vortec 12558060 - SD8060A Heads
Comp Roller Tip cc1417-16 Rocker Arms
Comp Cams XM270HR Roller Cam
Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Cloyes True Roller timing set
Edelbrock 7516 RPM Air Gap
Crane Ignition HI-6M
Clevite Bearings
ARP Fasteners
GLM Aluminum Semi Tuned Exhaust Manifolds stock Merc Risers with no reversion problems
Through Hull exhaust with Corsa exhaust tips
K&N Flame Arrestor
Powder Coated Stock Valve covers

For top speed the three blade is the way to go. Unless you normally have many people on board.

2000 for thru hull install is way to much. I paid 800 around 14 years ago but should have done the job myself. The stock exhaust tips are from CORSA.

Thanks

moondance100 10-09-2011 04:56 PM

Hey 350, you appear to know what you're doing. I was just looking at Edelbrocks to replace my tired old Weber on my '95 Talari. If was originally a 7.4L, but a few years ago I put an 8.2L GM crate motor in it. Two questions, is this a bolt on replacement (appears so), and I was thinking about going to a 750cfm model to let those cubes breath. It hits the rev limiter around 4800 and I figure thats all the farther I want to wind that monster. What are your thoughts on the size?

Thanks
Doug

Mariah350 10-09-2011 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by moondance100 (Post 32875)
Hey 350, you appear to know what you're doing. I was just looking at Edelbrocks to replace my tired old Weber on my '95 Talari. If was originally a 7.4L, but a few years ago I put an 8.2L GM crate motor in it. Two questions, is this a bolt on replacement (appears so), and I was thinking about going to a 750cfm model to let those cubes breath. It hits the rev limiter around 4800 and I figure thats all the farther I want to wind that monster. What are your thoughts on the size?

Thanks
Doug

Moondance,

The Weber 4 Barrel is identical to the Carter/Edelbrock. The two models in marine config are the Edelbrock 1409 600cfm and the 1410 750cfm. The 1410 750cfm would be fine for the 502. Like I said in previous posts, the Edelbrock will be a direct replacement for the Weber. Edelbrock does make a calibration kit with mulitiple sets of metering rods with additional primary and secondary jets. There is even a primary metering calibration chart to fine tune beyond out of the box setup which is very close as it is.

I enclosed the users manual to read which has good information on the Performer Series.

The Edelbrocks are very close right out of the box but if you need to there is info and support. The Edelbrock Marine is generally calibrated on the rich side due to a constant load condition on a boat.

Good Luck