The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Bilge cleaning (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/6057-bilge-cleaning.html)

Jgos929 08-17-2011 10:22 PM

Bilge cleaning

Hi guys I'm new to boating and would like to clean the Bilge in my 97 180SE Shabah. I know what a bilge is and the general location of it but have no idea how to access it and whats the easiest or most efficient way to clean it. Also what products do you guys recommend? Also I've seen some talk around here about this but thought I would include it in my question about the bilge. It appears my ski locker in the floor drains into the bilge so whats the best way to clean that also?

Thanks for the help

ShabahZ280 08-18-2011 12:02 AM

Re: Bilge cleaning

One easy way to clean the bilge is to use "Bilge Cleaner", it's commonly available from many retailers and many brands. You pour the designated amount into your bilge, and then add water. Take the boat out, let the water & cleaner slosh around in the bilge for a while, and when you're finished and the boat's on the trailer, pull the drain plug and just watch the gunk flow out!

Another way to clean it is to get down on your hands and knees, and use either bilge cleaner, or some sort of degreaser on a sponge or brush and some elbow grease. :)

Easiest way to access the bilge is to open your engine hatch, and if your rear seat flips forward, go ahead and flip it. You should be able to figure out how to get the cleaner into the bilge from there. If you can't flip the seat forward, and there's a carpeted covering, feel around for 4 screws on the top. If you remove these, it'll allow the top to be removed for access to the engine compartment.

Hope this helps! :wink_thumbup:

DFZ272 08-18-2011 01:11 AM

What he said. Simple Green also works
Happy Boating
Dan

mikeyt 08-18-2011 02:55 AM

Sounds like a good job for the Missus.... :rolling_laugh:

Jgos929 08-18-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShabahZ250 (Post 32050)
One easy way to clean the bilge is to use "Bilge Cleaner", it's commonly available from many retailers and many brands. You pour the designated amount into your bilge, and then add water. Take the boat out, let the water & cleaner slosh around in the bilge for a while, and when you're finished and the boat's on the trailer, pull the drain plug and just watch the gunk flow out!

Another way to clean it is to get down on your hands and knees, and use either bilge cleaner, or some sort of degreaser on a sponge or brush and some elbow grease. :)

Easiest way to access the bilge is to open your engine hatch, and if your rear seat flips forward, go ahead and flip it. You should be able to figure out how to get the cleaner into the bilge from there. If you can't flip the seat forward, and there's a carpeted covering, feel around for 4 screws on the top. If you remove these, it'll allow the top to be removed for access to the engine compartment.

Hope this helps! :wink_thumbup:

Thats exactly what I needed thanks for the info

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyt (Post 32062)
Sounds like a good job for the Missus.... :rolling_laugh:

Shoot after all the begging & pleading I had to do just to get her to go along with getting the boat she'd probably divorce me if I asked her to clean it.

darkcalling 08-22-2011 09:29 PM

Don't listen to Mikey on this one he is trying to get you killed.:eek_animated::rolling_laugh:

mikeyt 08-23-2011 01:56 AM

me do something like that? nah..... ;)