The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Trim Tab not working. (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/3002-trim-tab-not-working.html)

john elbro 07-18-2009 12:59 PM

Trim Tab not working.

Hi All again, hope this is the correct place for this, but not used the rim tabs before, only used the boat few times, so thought would check how long in seconds to move trim tabs from the horizontal position, Wife doing the button, the starboard one ok but when went to check port one it did not move or make noise. Is there anything to check, or is it busted?? or is it repairable? thanks, again, John.

WetWilly 07-19-2009 01:48 PM

Re: Trim Tab not working.

Hello John,

The short answer - yes, they're repairable.

It would help to know which manufacture made your Trim Tabs and are they hydraulic or electric?

For most hydraulic Tabs, the main unit consists of one pump, two solenoids and a fluid storage tank. When you select "down Tabs", the pump runs and the appropriate solenoid operates to allow fluid to travel to the Tab.. When you select "up Tabs", the appropriate solenoid operates, no pump, allowing the fluid to return to the main tank.

Since the port switch didn't do anything and we know the pump is good as it works with the starboard switch, it may just be a bad switch, solenoid or possibly a bad connection. I suspect the wiring or switch myself.

WetWilly

john elbro 07-27-2009 02:52 PM

Do not know if they are electric or hydraulc, they were fitted on the boat from new by Mariah. Do you know where to look for the solenoid or motor, as I am a bit thick when it comes to this sort of thing. Have traced the wires from the trim tab in the engine bay, but the seem to go into a loom and then I get lost!!!:confused:any more help will be apprciated. John.

WetWilly 07-28-2009 01:16 AM

Hi john elbro,

Here's where a digital camera comes in real handy... take a picture of the tabs then trace the hoses from the tabs back into the engine compartment, they should connect to a pump assembly, take a couple of pictures of it as well. lastly, see if there is any manufacture's name on the pump unit or switch.

If you need help posting the pictures, read this tutorial, click here.

WetWilly

bdbyrnes 07-28-2009 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john elbro (Post 17149)
Do not know if they are electric or hydraulc, they were fitted on the boat from new by Mariah. Do you know where to look for the solenoid or motor, as I am a bit thick when it comes to this sort of thing. Have traced the wires from the trim tab in the engine bay, but the seem to go into a loom and then I get lost!!!:confused:any more help will be apprciated. John.

Look behind the port side - the trim tab fluid reservoir should be mounted at the far stern; port side.

I just 'freshened up' my fluid, hoses and tab brackets and perhaps can walk you through it.