The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   keeping boat clean and protected..whats the best products..? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/2632-keeping-boat-clean-protected-whats-best-products.html)

lcoen777 05-31-2009 09:10 PM

keeping boat clean and protected..whats the best products..?

has anyone heard of nautical ease..? i ran across their website and think it sounds like they have a good product..? i have also heard of meguiars but they have so many differant products i wouldnt know what i needed...can anyone please help me out..?

Z 202 06-01-2009 03:27 PM

Re: keeping boat clean and protected..whats the best products..?

I've used the Meguair's 3 step fibreglass restoration kit on my hull. It worked great. I use Meguiars Flagship marine wax as well. I also use the Meguiars vinyl/rubber protectant on the interior. I've used the Mr Clean magic erasers on some tough stains on the hull, and I did the entire interior with them before I applied the protectant. The erasers are abrasive, so use them sparingly.

ShabahZ280 06-01-2009 04:45 PM

I second Meguiars fiberglass restoration kit, as well as their flagship products. Great stuff!

AirNavy 06-17-2009 04:16 PM

I third the Meguiar's fiberglass restoration kit. I did the lower half of my hull with it earlier this week and am very impressed. When I do the upper half I'll try to remember to get some before and after pictures. The red above the rubstrip on mine is wretched looking right now so it should make an amazing difference. For the interior vinyl I tried something I haven't used before. It's Vinylex by Lexol and works great. My dash was horribly faded, oxidized and just generally shabby looking. One solid application of the Vinylex took off most of the oxidation and made it shine almost like new. There's a pic of the dash now in the original Mariah forum.

difran25 06-18-2009 12:56 AM

i use 3M products. the restorer/wax and then the liquid wax on top brings out a really nice shine from a dull hull. liquid wax from then on and looks good.

otisroy 06-23-2009 04:01 PM

I like the Megiuar's too. I used the one-step oxidation remover/polish(no. 67) and then the pure wax(no. 56). The hull shines beautifully now for a 10 year old boat. My bro-in-law swears by Vertglas but I didn't need something that drastic to get the shine back.

I do have some yellowing that wouldn't be noticeable if I didn't have to remove the "custom" vinyl decals put on the hull by a previous owner. It looks fine from 10 feet but I can still see where the decals were. I think I may have to sand it to clean it up. Someone at the marine shop told me the yellowing is most likely the result of using car products on the gelcoat. Anyone else ever heard of that?

rusty 06-24-2009 08:27 PM

Hey AirNavy,
I would like to know where you bought the "vinylex".Does it work well on the seats,etc?...Thanks.

WetWilly 06-25-2009 07:12 AM

I use Vinylex too, got mine at the local "Auto Zone" car parts store! it works on Vinyl, rubber and plastic / cleans, shines and protects. I also use 303 areospace protectant, even works on gelcoat fiberglass. Says it's like SPF 40 sunscreen for your plastics.

rusty 06-25-2009 02:14 PM

Awesome!Once again thanks for the response WetWilly.:wink_thumbup::wink_thumbup:

AirNavy 06-25-2009 06:32 PM

I also got Vinylex at an auto parts store (Advance I think). I actually just kind of stumbled onto it. I was in there poking around looking for something else and then realized I needed to do something about the dash. After looking through the vinyl specific products, I made my decision based on price. The Vinylex was the most expensive, so I figured I'd give it a shot. :D