The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   need help changing gear lube on alpha one outdrive. (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/2390-need-help-changing-gear-lube-alpha-one-outdrive.html)

pimpadelic 04-28-2009 02:41 PM

need help changing gear lube on alpha one outdrive.

i just bought a 1996 shabah 180. i want to change all fluids since i dont know when they were done last. does anyone know where i can find info on how to do these things. its got a 3.0l mercruiser with an alpha one.

Z 202 04-28-2009 04:37 PM

Re: need help changing gear lube on alpha one outdrive.

Here's a good site:

http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm

WetWilly 04-28-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimpadelic (Post 13741)
i just bought a 1996 shabah 180. i want to change all fluids since i dont know when they were done last. does anyone know where i can find info on how to do these things. its got a 3.0l mercruiser with an alpha one.

Hi pimpadelic,

As a contributing member, you have access to the manuals. Assuming you have an Alpha 1 Gen II sterndrive, This manual will explain how to check and change your oil. Click Here and select the second PDF file. When you open it, it should be labeled "Section 1A - General Information", now go to page 1B-8 and begin reading. Changing oil in on 1B-12. Take a little time and you'll find all the reference material for doing your own maintenance.

Good luck,
WetWilly

pimpadelic 04-28-2009 08:51 PM

Thanks for the info. this is my second boat and my last own was about 4 years ago. so im tryin to rember the basics. :wink_thumbup:

sirbb 05-08-2009 04:32 AM

I know to fill it till it comes out on the vent hole, but to be properly prepared, how much oil will an alpha one hold??

pimpadelic 05-08-2009 07:00 PM

about 36oz for my gen II alpha-one

SEMIJim 06-24-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 13750)

Hey! They're right in our neighbourhood--more or less :). I think I'll just get over there and pick up the manual for our drive train. Thanks for the tip, Z 202!

Jim

Z 202 06-26-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 15689)
Hey! They're right in our neighbourhood--more or less :). I think I'll just get over there and pick up the manual for our drive train. Thanks for the tip, Z 202!

Jim

You are a contributing member, so just go to the service, repair and operating manuals forum on this site. Put the cash you save into your gas tank. :wink_thumbup:

SEMIJim 06-26-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 15817)
You are a contributing member, so just go to the service, repair and operating manuals forum on this site. Put the cash you save into your gas tank. :wink_thumbup:

Thanks, but I'm a bit old-fashioned in that respect: I like books and manuals and so-on on dead tree material :)

However... I sent them an email to ask if I could just stop in and pick up what I wanted, and they haven't replied. They also don't appear to have a phone number. Odd for a company that claims to be a service company. I'm not impressed.

Jim

SEMIJim 07-01-2009 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEMIJim (Post 15819)
Thanks, but I'm a bit old-fashioned in that respect: I like books and manuals and so-on on dead tree material :)

That being said: I'm becoming a bit leery of mercstuff.com, aka: Precision Services, Inc.. They apparently have no listed phone number. They don't even have anything more than a PO box in their Internet domain registration. I sent them an email: No reply. I scraped-up a phone number I think belongs to them. It's answered by a recitation of the phone number, a "we can't answer your call" and "please leave a message." No mention of a company name, etc.

The stuff they sell may be good, but their business practices don't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling.

Jim