The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Water Temp (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/2076-water-temp.html)

markkearns 02-17-2009 05:37 PM

Water Temp

Took my boat out on Sunday and was still in the canal when all hell broke loose. Alarms, noise, etc. Immedialty turned of engine and noted that the water temp was at 250+ (not good).

Managed to get a tow back home which was only 10 mins away.

Novice boater so I am looking for reasons that might increase water temp. Obviously the engine is not cooling correctly.....any ideas as to why??

Thanks
Mark

indykoch 02-17-2009 06:26 PM

Re: Water Temp

Probably due to the impeller (draws water up the lower unit and into the engine for the water pump to circulate, then spits it out the exhaust).

When was the last time the impeller was replaced? They usually last 3-5 years, depending on water conditions and usage.

It could be clogged water intake or water pump itself, but most likely the impeller. You did the right thing turning it off right away! Good to know the alarm is working too! Let us know how it goes or ask any other questions. I believe there's a thread on here about how to replace the impeller yourself - just do a search if so inclined. Good luck!

markkearns 02-17-2009 07:23 PM

Thanks for the info

I know the water pump is less than a couple of years old....no idea on the impeller.

What do they run??

ShabahZ280 02-17-2009 08:08 PM

Same thing happened to me on my maiden voyage in Cincinnati. Turned out to be a bad impeller. That'd be the first place I'd look. It's a relatively cheap part, less than $50.

Good to know your alarm did it's job. I found out mine had been disconnected by the previous owner. I finally got that fixed last year.

indykoch 02-17-2009 08:35 PM

I've actually seen the impeller for $20-$25 at some places! If you have a repair facility do the job, it would likely cost $100 plus parts (at their "mark up" prices).

There are a number of places that sell them online, and a lot of websites that can walk you through doing it yourself. I've never done it myself, but looks easy enough if you're even the slightest bit mechanically inclined.

John Morgan 02-18-2009 02:09 AM

I also had the exact same thing happen to me. It turned out to be the impeller. Cheap and easy fix, I did it on the water with no instructions. I only needed a flat head screwdriver and a simple socket set which I carry on the boat.:wink_thumbup:

Z 202 02-18-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Morgan (Post 12195)
I also had the exact same thing happen to me. It turned out to be the impeller. Cheap and easy fix, I did it on the water with no instructions. I only needed a flat head screwdriver and a simple socket set which I carry on the boat.:wink_thumbup:

Oh, the advantages of having a Bravo 1. On an Alpha 1 you need to drain the oil from the outdrive and separate the lower unit from the upper. Definately not an "on the water" job.

Vacation Dave 02-19-2009 03:14 AM

I agree about the impeller on the water intake. You should also check the oil.

markkearns 02-23-2009 07:30 PM

Thanks for all the excellent advice...and you were all correct.

The Impeller was totalyl destroyed. I have a good trustworthy mech and he showed me the damage. Lucky that there were no pieces in the hoses.

However, we could not save the housing. There was a hairline crack in it so I had to get that replaced also.

$220 when all said and done....but it was a good price to pay to be back on the water!!!

Thanks again

millertime 04-26-2009 08:31 PM

Do you have any web sites you can refer me to. I am mechanically inclined bot not on the way the water and outdrive work. I have a mariah 2350Z with the 454. I thought I had a fuel problem and it shut down. After looking at the temp gauge it was just around 250 degrees. You said you did it in the water and very little tools but I hace no idea where to begin on the impeller your talking about. Thanks Terry