The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Sales Guy suggests Impeller service? (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/2021-sales-guy-suggests-impeller-service.html)

jerrydeluca 01-27-2009 01:47 PM

Sales Guy suggests Impeller service?

My 1998 Z210 is getting a standard tune up filters,plugs, oil etc along with ...the sales guy (at the marina where the boat is stored) recommended impeller replacement. Does it need it? How do I know?...Impeller is the coolant delivery component yes, important but how do I know it needs replacement ...He's asking $500. I respect the shop and this fella but...as green to the industry that I am ...I need advice here... Thank you in advance. Jerry

mikeyt 01-27-2009 03:12 PM

Here's a good source of how to do the job yourself (courtesy of Z202!) as $500 seems just a little rich....

http://www.mercstuff.com/waterpumpinst.htm

Impellers tend to fail without warning so regardless of frequency of use, water pump impellers (all types) should be changed every third year. The impeller fingers become brittle and "set" in a bent position greatly reducing the priming capacity of the unit. The most common result of failed impellers, beyond a ruined weekend, are blown head gaskets, warped heads and blocks, and scored cylinders, necessitating costly overhauls or replacements.

indykoch 01-27-2009 03:36 PM

Wow Mikey, you been studying, or what?!? That's a perfect explanation!

Yes, I'd have it replaced as well. The price sounds about right, but it is something a novice mechanic/tinkerer can do themselves to save some money.

How long have you had the boat? Do you know the last time it was replaced? There are other factors that can diminish the life of the impeller including sandy/muddy waters and frequency/usage. Better safe than sorry.

ShabahZ280 01-27-2009 05:15 PM

Agreed. $500 seems way overpriced. I believe my service place charged me around $300 to replace mine. My impeller went out during it's maiden voyage in Ohio, overheated the motor and shut off, left me stranded in the middle of a lake, and I had to be towed back to shore by an aluminum fishing boat with a 20hp outboard. Pretty embarassing.

Make sure and change it, or at least get it inspected every few years, depending on the water conditions. While it may seem expensive to replace it, it'll save you much more in the long run. Especially if it causes engine damage. I'll be checking and most likely replacing mine this year, it'll be my 3rd year with this one.

il_Mio 01-27-2009 06:47 PM

"or at least get it inspected every few years" - Silly question maybe, but will it not cost almost (same labour cost but not impellor cost) equally to have it inspected or don't they need to open all up for this inspection ? If so, I would have it replaced than anyway.

Cheers,

Johan

indykoch 01-27-2009 07:00 PM

Good point, Johan. To inspect it would mean doing most of the labor of replacing. I'm just putting mine on the 3 year replacement plan no matter what.

Regarding the cost, I was also considering the full tune-up included in the $500 quote, is that correct? If so, not a terrible price. If the $500 is for just the impeller, keep shopping!

ShabahZ280 01-27-2009 07:25 PM

my bad, I should have clarified "if you're mechanically inclined, inspect it yourself every few years". I'm planning on replacing mine this year, I will do a write-up for the site. :wink_thumbup:

il_Mio 01-27-2009 07:33 PM

Chris,

that explains a lot, thanks (started to doubt myself here). And I will be waiting for your good write-up so I can inspect / replace it myself.

Thanks,

Johan

mikeyt 01-28-2009 02:13 AM

Mine is due to be 'inspected' this summer so i'm not gonna bugger about. I'm just simply gonna replace it.

jerrydeluca 01-28-2009 01:09 PM

Brilliant help from all...thanks so much...Actually I am mechanically inclined... I'm very new to boat motorsports. I appreciate all the experience here at the Mariah's owners club. My only problem is that I don't have a place (yet) to work on my Z210. I'm planning on build a shop so I don't have to relay on the sales guy to tell me what I need...Great then Thanks to Mikeyt, il_Mio, Shabah Z250, Indykoch, ...Jerry