The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Gimbal bearing (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/1946-gimbal-bearing.html)

wssb11 12-13-2008 08:53 PM

Gimbal bearing

i searched all over this sight and im pretty sure my gimbal bearing is going out. I get a clacking noise when turning sharp. not there when going straight and it dosen't affect the boat really at all other than being annoying. Sounds like a gimbal bearing right. Any input on what that will run me parts and labor? Its on a 96 mariah shabah with the 4.3 in it. thanks for the input

ShabahZ280 12-13-2008 10:43 PM

Yep that's a Gimbal Bearing. Had mine done last year when I noticed the same symptoms. I had read that once you experience the vibration, it's best to service it right away, since it can get progressively worse. Parts and Labor cost me I think about $400. If it's really bad and it's damaged the bellows, you'll be looking at a $1500+ replacement job.

wssb11 12-14-2008 12:56 AM

ya thats what i was afraid of. thanks so much for your help. how often do they need replaced? my boat has 260 hours on it. is it possible that this could still be the orignal one?

ShabahZ280 12-14-2008 03:32 PM

They usually will last a while, I believe mine was the original as well, I had about the same hours as yours. They say usually some sort of "trauma" to the outdrive can cause the gimbal bearing to shorten it's life. If you've run aground, or hit any submerged things recently, that's probably what has caused it. Otherwise, I'd say the gimbal bearings probably last around 200-300 hours!

wssb11 12-14-2008 04:34 PM

nope definately didnt hit anything. good to know they last a while. hopefully i can get her into the shop soon so it can be fixed so i can have her back by the 1st of the year! thanks again for your help.

300sflyer 12-16-2008 12:58 PM

While it's in the shop, you might want to look at replacing the U-joints as well. Its the right time to do it when the drive is already off, and they are not that expensive or hard to replace. If they are close to being worn out and not replaced, the repair can then get VERY expensive if they break!

If you do decide to have them replaced, be sure they replace them with ones that have grease nipples. :wink_thumbup:

indykoch 12-16-2008 02:04 PM

300sflyer makes a great point! The U-joints could also be causing a "growl" when turning. I'd have the U-joints and gimbal bearing replaced at the same time (U-joints are relatively cheap, and as stated, the drive is already off so there shouldn't be much additional labor involved).

wssb11 12-16-2008 07:34 PM

I think this is going to be maintance year for her. I will definatley look into replaceing those. Is there anything else that I should think about replacing? Normally if the weather is right i try and take her out about once a month during the winter time but this year the lakes here are so low that I might actually have to winterize her!

ShabahZ280 12-16-2008 08:45 PM

Check the exhaust flappers inside the Y-Pipe. Mine apparently just disintegrated after a few years. $46 in parts, but cost $360 in labor. I'll be checking those myself next time!

indykoch 12-16-2008 09:37 PM

Well, as long as we're spending your money (I'm sure the possibility of you boating during the winter isn't playing any jealousy either :yes_grin:)...

Have the bellows checked, and probably just replace them. Again, they're already off, and the parts are relatively cheap, so you might as well. A great "piece of mind" item!

And again, while the lower unit is off - If you're experiencing any shift and/or throttle irregularities or difficulties, there is a lower unit shift cable that may be getting worn. If your trim gauge is acting up, there's a sending unit located on the lower unit (and subsequent wiring going through the transom unit). Maybe check lower unit seals (for the drive oil) also.

Don't freak out, none of these items may need replacement. I just think it's a good idea to be safe, and it's much cheaper and easier while the drive is already off for other repairs. Your mechanic should be able to give a full inspection.

Good luck!