The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Steering on '96 Shabah (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/1758-steering-96-shabah.html)

jchemotti 09-24-2008 06:00 AM

Steering on '96 Shabah

The steering on our boat has become very tight -- I think I saw another post like this on the forum. I took the boat in to a mechanic today who maintains my neighbor's Mariah, and he told me that:
1. The boat is manual steering
2. The steering cable is locked-up (my words, can't remember the exact term) somewhere, and needs to be taken apart and probably replace (est. $300).

Now I'm confused, as we're relatively new to boating and still learning about engines, drives, etc., because the picture I took of the engine (below) has a decal that clearly states "power steering."

What gives?

Z 202 09-24-2008 05:04 PM

The decal isn't conclusive, as the flame arrestor may not be original to the engine. Is there a (belt driven) pump mounted on the front of the engine? If so, then you have power steering.

WetWilly 09-24-2008 05:14 PM

Hi jchemotti,

Typically, the 3.0L didn't need or come with power steering. It is interesting that your flame arrestor has the decal on it, but as Z202 indicated, it is possible that it was replaced for the original some time ago

Z202's right, if you do have power steering, you will have a power steering pump ( just like one on a car) mounted at the front of the motor with a pair of hoses running back to a hydraulic ram assembly attached to the steering arm connected to the gimble and to the steering cable from the steering wheel.

Just to be sure, can you post a picture on the front of your motor showing all the belt driven assemblies and on of the behind the motor showing the steering arm and transome?

As for the steering cable, it sounds like it's binding up (not sliding easily in it's housing). Definitely sounds like it's time for it to be replaced.

WetWilly

candanewell 05-09-2010 08:47 PM

Re: Steering on '96 Shabah

I have a 1995 202 Shabah with 5.7 engine. The rear unit / outboard all looks tight but the steering wheel movement has 'slack' when turning.

It looks like the steering unit just below the steering wheel is the problem (I assume this is a rack and pinion type system and the gears are worn), so hopefully this is an easy to replace part.

Does anyone know where I can get this steering component?

1stDave 05-10-2010 06:29 PM

I you have slack it is more likely to be at the gimble.
Have someone hold the steering wheel while you push the outdrive left and right. If it moves much say more than 1" your gimble assembly may be shot.

HTH

candanewell 05-15-2010 08:44 PM

Thank for teh suggestion on the gimble, but this appears to be OK, less that 1" movement (relief as I think thsi woudl be expensive!)

Also I may have misled some poepl with my use the word "tight", sorry....what I was aiming to explain was that the steering wheel moves (rotates) about 15 degrees each way before the engine moves, therefore I was thinking that it may be the rack system (I have a teleflex rack system) I just stripped this down and the gear and teeth looked OK so I rebuilt and retightened everything, but still have about 15 degree mevement each way befor eteh engine moves....I guess my question is if the is normal or should I replace the Teleflex steering?

if I replace teh steering I notice a few options from Teleflex does anyone have experiance with the different versions and and recommendations?