The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Stress fractures (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/154-stress-fractures.html)

dudders 07-31-2007 11:20 PM

Stress fractures

I have a small star shape (more like a spider web really) stress fracture on the upper hull not far back from the cleat. Is there any way of covering this up with a polishing tye of product that is easy and wont affect the finish of the gel coat?
I have also a little air bubble (smaller than a finger nail size) on the hull that I want to cover over is there anything that I can put into it and what paint would be best to use?
Regards
Tony

mikeyt 08-01-2007 02:32 AM

This is a good one for Moondance to answer! He's the gelcoat/fglass repair man around here. :)

dudders 11-22-2007 03:34 AM

These spider fractures have gotten bigger!!!!
Looks like its taking over the boat..... at least it will be uniform!
Is there anyway of covering this up???
HHHHHEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP.

mikeyt 11-22-2007 02:12 PM

It's making me wonder if the mfr. forgot to put a backing plate on the cleat when they installed it. Simply filling in the spider cracks wont solve the problem though. I sent Moondance a PM in hopes that he will stop by the forum & offer his expertise.

dudders 11-23-2007 06:32 AM

Thanks mate, when I get home I will try and get a picture of it but dont think it will come out cause they are such fine cracks. The "Limited Life time" hull warranty might cover it do ya reckon?
Tony

MariahMan 11-23-2007 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudders (Post 2469)
The "Limited Life time" hull warranty might cover it do ya reckon?

It should be Tony but remember it's a "Limited" warranty and doesn't transfer from one owner to the next. I remember when you had the bubbling in the gel coat and Mariah agreed to fix it after begging and pleading correct?

IMHO issues like the gelcoat defects and spider cracks, if caused by improper installation of deck hardware at the factory vs owner neglect, should be covered regardless of whether you are the original owner or not. The whole "non-transferable warranty" or "limited" warranty is used so that companies can get away with saying "Liftetime warranty" and not having to uphold it because they know the typical boater will only own his boat for a few years then upgrade. This essentially makes it a only a couple years warranty, but can be advertised as lifetime.

Factory defects are factory defects no matter what # owner you are, plain and simple.

dudders 11-23-2007 07:31 AM

I totally agree Ryan, Bloody frustrating when the boat is so new. Have no idea how these fractures started, and we havent been doing any rough water travelling since they first started. Looks like I will just have to sell it and "upgrade" to the older style Mariah. I do like the bow rider/cuddy cabin idea.
Now how do I get on here??????????? ;)