Want to get rid of the ads? Become a member by registering today.
The Mariah Owners Club

Forum Left Top

Welcome to the The Mariah Owners Club.

Oil Level High 5.7 Mercruiser

General Maintenance

Old 10-16-2016, 05:10 PM   #1

Scottie1961 is currently offline
My Year: 1995
My Model: Z202 Shabah
My Engine: 5.7L Alpha One
Gallery Images: 0

Send Scottie1961:
a Private Message

Default Oil Level High 5.7 Mercruiser

I've searched the forum for any threads about oil capacity and high oil levels but didn't find anything. Putting the Shabah to sleep for the winter and changed the oil. This went as expected, warmed up the motor to operating temp, pulled the oil out, made a mess removing the oil filter, replaced the oil with 4.5 qts expecting to add more. Ran the motor for about three or four minutes and checked the oil to find it read at least a quart high.

By the way when I bought the boat I noticed the oil level looked high so removed some oil. Now I'm wondering if something has been altered that would cause it to read high with only 4.5 quarts of oil. I'm sure I got all oil because the boat was level and the pickup for the vacuum was bottomed out and gurgling. I would have expected the oil level to read at least .5 quarts low. Could someone have replaced the dipstick with a stick from a different engine? I checked the engine code when I bought the boat and it is indeed a 5.7.

Any help from you engine guys would be appreciated!
  • Old 03-02-2017, 04:22 AM   #2

Bigred89 is currently offline
    My Year: 1991
    My Model: MX19
    My Engine: Merc 4.3l / Alphaone
    Gallery Images: 0

Send Bigred89:
    a Private Message

Default Re: Oil Level High 5.7 Mercruiser

Old post I know, but I had this same issue with my 4.3. Drained oil from plug so I know all oil was out. I filled oil filter with oil, and added the correct amount to pan. Ran engine for approx. 5 min. Let oil settle back into pan for about 10 min and it read high. So for the heck of it I left the stick out over night and put it in the next day and checked it, read perfect on full mark. Maybe the oil stays up higher in the tube for some reason I don't know, but did this several times with same result. I even pulled the stick and waited 10 min, stuck it back in and it read right on full when it read overfill 10 min before.