The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   Prop Trim Button (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/1088-prop-trim-button.html)

PouredOut 05-06-2008 09:03 PM

Prop Trim Button

Not sure if anyone would be able to help me out or not:

I am looking at buying a 2000 Mariah Z272 BR with a 496CI that has 300 hours on it.

The boat checks out clean with the exception of the prop trim button on the throttle lever. Sometimes it doesn't raise/lower the prop while cruising, but it does make noise. If you hit the button a few times it will eventually work as expected.

The other button that raises and lowers the prop all the way for trailering works fine.

Does anyone have any clue what the issue may be (wiring, button, solenoid?) and how much it would cost to repair and/or replace?

Please let me know when you have a moment. Thanks.

Sean

WetWilly 05-06-2008 09:10 PM

Hi PouredOut,

Both the trim and the trailer buttons all use the same pump and solenoids so I doubt they're bad... and since you state "If you hit the button a few times it will eventually work", I suspect your trim button contacts are dirty and/or corroded. Have you checked your trim oil to make sure it doesn't have any water in it and it's up to level?

See if you can dismantle the buttons to get at the contacts and clean them off with a very fine sand paper or wire brush, they're just copper contacts and they tarnish too. Don't forget to check the wiring connections back to the pump, they're prone to corrosion as well.

Good luck and let us know what you find,
WetWilly

PouredOut 05-07-2008 12:47 PM

Trim button

WetWilly,

Thanks for the help, I will check it out tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks again.

Sean

indykoch 05-07-2008 01:50 PM

I'd also check the trim gauge sending unit. If it's making a noise, the outdrive should be moving - maybe it's just the gauge/sending unit not doing it's job? Also check the hydraulic fluid. Good luck and let us know what you find.

boarder1010 06-08-2008 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WetWilly (Post 6466)
Hi PouredOut,

Both the trim and the trailer buttons all use the same pump and solenoids so I doubt they're bad... and since you state "If you hit the button a few times it will eventually work", I suspect your trim button contacts are dirty and/or corroded. Have you checked your trim oil to make sure it doesn't have any water in it and it's up to level?

See if you can dismantle the buttons to get at the contacts and clean them off with a very fine sand paper or wire brush, they're just copper contacts and they tarnish too. Don't forget to check the wiring connections back to the pump, they're prone to corrosion as well.

Good luck and let us know what you find,
WetWilly

WetWilly,
Same topic but different question. Since you say the tilt and trailer buttons use the same solenoids etc, is there a way to get rid of the trailer button and incorporate everything into the trim button? I find the trailer buttom a pain to get at and it almost requires another hand when you are trying to beach etc.

Z 202 06-09-2008 01:55 PM

The trailer button allows the drive to be raised beyond the trim limit. You don't want to exceed that limit with the drive operating, especially at anything more than idle speed.

To incoprorate the trailer tilt in the power trim would have to bypass the trim limit circuit, and not a very good idea IMHO.

mikeyt 06-09-2008 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 7701)
The trailer button allows the drive to be raised beyond the trim limit. You don't want to exceed that limit with the drive operating, especially at anything more than idle speed.

To incoprorate the trailer tilt in the power trim would have to bypass the trim limit circuit, and not a very good idea IMHO.

I agree. There's a reason they separate the two & it's a good one!

WetWilly 06-09-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boarder1010 (Post 7686)
WetWilly,
Same topic but different question. Since you say the tilt and trailer buttons use the same solenoids etc, is there a way to get rid of the trailer button and incorporate everything into the trim button? I find the trailer buttom a pain to get at and it almost requires another hand when you are trying to beach etc.

Hi boarder,

Z202 is dead on, you never want to by-pass the trim limit circuit.

Depending on the type on controller you have, most "trailer button" circuits can be relocated. In the case of our controller, a QuickSilver 3000 series, connected to a Mercruiser Sterndrive, the trailer button circuit is a simple two wire affair. The most difficult part may be accessing the wiring.

All that's needed to relocate the trailer button is to, A) cut the existing two wires near the existing switch , B) splice additional lengths of the appropriate gauge wires and C) attach them to a new momentary switch (I recommend a low profile type) in a more convent location. Thus, your new "trailer" switch would be easier to operate.

Just make sure you use a marine rated switch (water & corrosion resistant) and it's not in a location where you could operate the switch by accident. Wouldn't want to "accidentally" raise the outdrive to the trailer position while cruising or at WOT, could get quite messy and expensive... :(

Good luck,
WetWilly

z275st 06-09-2008 08:39 PM

Boarder1010,
My trim/tilt switch also controls the trailer tilt. One click up to trim up, push in a little more and second click for trailer tilt. I live in constant fear that a novice driver will raise the unit too much at high speed and do thousands of dollars worth of damage. I wish it were like my old Talrai with separate buttons!

boarder1010 07-03-2008 04:57 AM

Great thoughts. I think I will leave well enough alone for now but may consider relocating in the off season.