The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   General Maintenance (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/)
-   -   hull repair (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/general-maintenance/1047-hull-repair.html)

bpfirrman 04-29-2008 02:10 AM

hull repair

Looks like the previous owner beached it a few too many times and I have scratches down the hull.
Sandbars in AZ are usually an inch or two of sand then rock. Should I repair this with a Marine Tex type epoxy kit or have a pro do it with a full on Gel Coat repair? I am in the process of using marine tex to repair some other dings, I don't think it would be too much work to repair this one but an not sure if it is an appropriate fix.

ShabahZ280 04-29-2008 11:21 AM

Yes, the Marine Tex would work. Sure, it won't look as professional, but it will at least prevent further damage. If you apply a few coats, then take your time and sand, it'll probably look almost new. Good luck with it, and let us know how it turns out. :wink_thumbup:

bpfirrman 04-29-2008 03:00 PM

Thanks, I will start applying the Marine Tex tonight and will post some after pics when I am done.

S.L.P. 04-30-2008 01:40 AM

bpfirrman,
I have noticed several boats with a "keel guard" glued on to the hull. They come in different colors and lengths. Might work well if you have to beach it often. I have never used the product, but it looks like a good idea.
I did recently install a stainless hull protector where the roller meets the hull. We'll see how it holds up to several launchings.
slp

MariahMan 04-30-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S.L.P. (Post 6199)
bpfirrman,
I have noticed several boats with a "keel guard" glued on to the hull. They come in different colors and lengths. Might work well if you have to beach it often. I have never used the product, but it looks like a good idea.

I installed the 8' white keel guard product on our 252 Shabah and we are very impressed with it. Very high quality product that does its job; protect the boat. Given that we do A LOT of beaching in Chelan, I felt that this product was necessary for ensuring the life of gelcoat and hull. My dad was skeptical, but is now very glad we have it because no longer does he cringe when we beach the boat. In the past, because we didn't want to damage the hull, we always came in really slow and barely set it down. This of course required constant attention as otherwise the boat had the potential of un-beaching itself. Having this product allows us to come in at a good clip and beach the boat good as to ensure it doesn't work its way free and float away. Of course, we only beach the boat on sandy beaches. To this day, no keel or other hull damage whatsoever.

I HIGHLY recommend this product if you plan to beach your boat. :wink_thumbup:

Oh, and if you haven't already seen it, don't forget to checkout Chris's writeup on working with the Marine Tex system located here

bpfirrman 04-30-2008 02:31 AM

finished the first coat, need to let it cure then sand and do more. I have checked out the keel guard, did not know it came in white. I will probably pick one of those up. I do not plan on beaching it, in AZ you never know what you are going to get. This has always been an AZ boat, all the hull damage was from the previous owner. I imagine he beached it quite a few times judging by the looks of it.