The Mariah Owners Club

The Mariah Owners Club (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/)
-   Chit Chat/Off-Topic (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/)
-   -   High water @ my cottage (http://www.mariahownersclub.com/forum/chit-chat-off-topic/960-high-water-my-cottage.html)

180diablo 04-12-2008 02:42 AM

High water @ my cottage

Sounds like we are going to go up to my cottage this Sunday to take a look at the high water levels the Trent Severn is experiencing right now. It is supposed to peak on about Wednesday. So Sunday should be close to peak.

Most of the low lying areas around my cottage are completely flooded. The residents are parking their cars up the street and using boats to float along the road to get to their .. umm .. island (aka cottage). If I had to hazard a guess I would say it is up somewhere in the neighbourhood of 4 feet.

I will have my camera with me and I hope to post them on my Flickr site for all to see.

My aunt and uncle live in the area and their walks have been getting shorter due to the high water levels. So they have been updating us on the progress. The last time they saw water this high was around 1997 and with the rain in the forecast, it should surpass that marker. They would need hip-waders to walk around the area's that are flooded right now.

Lets see what happens. :D

Z 202 04-12-2008 01:57 PM

Not surprising given the record snowfall most of southern Ontario has seen this winter. Around here the Grand River is up higher than I remember seeing it.

Fortunately we don't have to worry much, our cottage is probably 6 or 7 meters above the current level of Georgain bay. However, I'm hoping to see all the Great Lakes levels up this season. Huron and Georgian Bay have been at their lowest levels in decades :(

Hopefully your place is OK. Flood damage is not good...

mikeyt 04-12-2008 02:29 PM

It would be nice to see G-Bay's water level rise a bit. Might make some of those channels and bays that i used to boat thru back in the early '80s accessible again. No matter how much rain/snow we get though, to resolve the issue over the longer term they've gotta do something about the dredging work they did in the St. Clair river. Do you remember playing with water puddles as a kid? If ya opened up the drain and dug it a little deeper, that puddle level didn't take long to drop.... :shakehead:

180diablo 04-12-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z 202 (Post 5565)
Not surprising given the record snowfall most of southern Ontario has seen this winter. Around here the Grand River is up higher than I remember seeing it.

Fortunately we don't have to worry much, our cottage is probably 6 or 7 meters above the current level of Georgain bay. However, I'm hoping to see all the Great Lakes levels up this season. Huron and Georgian Bay have been at their lowest levels in decades :(

Hopefully your place is OK. Flood damage is not good...

Our cottage is high and dry on a rock face.

The last time the water came up half way on the rock face was the 1950s when Hurricane Hazel came through. Right now our boat house is under about a foot of water and the water is back about half way. But it hasn't apparently touched the rock face ..yet. Oh .. the rock face is also about a good 12-15 feet up.

I can't wait to get up north to snap some pics :D

I want to go out with hip waders and play in it... hehee.

180diablo 04-14-2008 03:12 AM

Hoooooooooooooooooo boy is that water was high!

There was extensive flooding in the area and today what we say is actually lower than it was the past few days. About 2 days ago it was about 7-8 inches higher than what we saw. The water levels we saw today ...... we have never seen something that high before. We have seen it high in years past, but never like this. Not surprising when you have 6-8 feet of snow over the winter.. lol.

We found something interesting while we were out today. We were watching a good sized log float down the river towards Sparrow Lake. Once it hit the mouth of Sparrow ... it stopped dead in its tracks. The log was stuck there. Basically the lake is pushing upstream into the river and the river was pushing downstream into the lake creating a sort of collsion and almost turbulent area right at the mouth. It was a neat natural thing to witness.

Anyways .. enough babbling .... I will let the photos do the talking.

:wink_thumbup::wink_thumbup:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1107402...7604528403251/

If you want to see the best photos, when you click on that webpage click on the link @ the right that says " View as Slideshow". They will be viewed as full screen images ! :)

ShabahZ280 04-14-2008 01:16 PM

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Thanks for sharing all the pics. I love the "aerial" shots where you can see the concrete and everything underneath the water.

The Ohio River flooded pretty good this year, and it's still a little high, but I didn't take any pics of it.

180diablo 04-14-2008 08:13 PM

Hmmm I assume by the aerial shots you meant the ones where I was standing on top of my uncles dock and my neighbours rock face looking down on my property. Which that would just be wood that is submerged about 4 feet or so.

The brown trimmed cottage that sits in the bay, that is our cottage. :)
(my late grandfather built it)

ShabahZ280 04-14-2008 08:39 PM

Yes, those shots are cool too, but there's an "aerial" shot looking down off the top of the a lock or dam that's really impressive. (DSC_0303)

180diablo 04-15-2008 12:27 PM

Ahhhh ok yeah, actually I'am standing on a vehicle bridge that goes overtop of the lock. :)

DSC_0304 is the exact same spot, but turned 180*.

Here is an aerial view of Lock #42 on Parks Canada's webpage.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/trent...t/lock42_e.asp

You can somewhat see the bridge I was standing on. :)

Complete side note: Found a photo from last year

http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
See that raised piece of land, that it what it normally looks like. If you take a look back at the marina photos I posted, you will see the water was just about covering it.